Shopping for glasses can be an exciting experience, especially when you have a unique face shape. Oblong or rectangular faces are classic and distinctive, and the right frames can accentuate your features.
But how do you find those perfect glasses? The key is going for thick, angular frames and styles wider than your cheekbones to add width and balance to your face.
Here are our top picks to help you rock the eyewear look:
Do You Have an Oblong Face Shape?
The defining feature of oblong face shapes is their length, which gives a distinctive look. And even though they’re longer than wide, their forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are similar in width.
This creates a balanced appearance similar to that of square-shaped faces. Most oblong face shapes also have a slightly curved chin, adding to their unique charm.
And it's not just regular folks who sport this intriguing facial feature. Celebrities like Sarah Jessica Parker, Liv Tyler, and Ben Affleck proudly rock oblong shaped faces—and look great doing it.
How Specific Facial Features Influence Glasses Choice
You should consider the unique characteristics of oblong face shapes when choosing the right eyeglass frame. Here are some of them, plus tips on how to use them to your advantage:
- Forehead: Oblong faces usually have a broad forehead with sharp angles that you can use for a balanced look. Wide frames with strong angles will help draw attention up and away from your jawline for a more harmonious appearance.
- Cheekbones: Because oblong faces are longer than wide, round shapes can add width and balance to the look. Look for frames with subtle curves and soft lines. For those with high cheekbones, consider frames with a slight upsweep on top.
- Jawline: A square jawline is common in oblong faces, so find glasses that don’t add bulk or make your face appear even longer. Hunt for frames with angular edges and sharp corners to create a chiseled look.
Of course, your style should shine through when shopping for eyewear. Just remember always to consider how your frames will complement your face shape and facial features before choosing.
4 Best Glasses for Oblong Faces
Square frames have wedged their way to the top of the list when it comes to oblong faces. Their sharp corners make your softer features stand out, providing a pleasing contrast that draws all attention to the eyes.
They also work as an excellent midpoint for your long face. Plus, they're very versatile when it comes to getting ready with any style in mind.
Best Square Frames for Women
This classic frame style features a sturdy bridge, complementing any face shape and providing wearers with renewed confidence and the perfect finish.
Best Square Frames for Men
Omar’s keyhole bridge harmonizes with a timeless design, lending structure to its bold frame. The sloping brow lines around the eye area also provide smooth transitions for a refined look.
These frames feature a more angular silhouette that adds width to a narrow face. They come in various styles and colors, so you can find a look that best suits your style.
Rectangular glasses can also help contour your face. Their frame's sharp angles add structure, contrast soft features, and provide a defined look that can be very striking.
Best Rectangular Frames for Women
Lonnie reimagines the classic rectangular silhouette by elongating its proportions and adding dramatically beveled lens rims.
Best Rectangular Frames for Men
With a slanted rectangular form that is slightly slimmer, the Oliver design exudes flattery while offering comfort and wearability.
Wayfarer glasses feature a classic silhouette that always stays in style. This style has become popular recently, and its unisex design makes it a must-have.
Its bold lines and wide top add angularity, while its straight bottoms make your face appear wider. Wayfarer’s extended temple tips add width and sharpness that naturally contrast your narrow, soft features.
Best Wayfarer Frames for Women
Drawing inspiration from classic midcentury lines, Harris balances timeless sophistication with modern wonder for an unparalleled look.
Best Wayfarer Frames for Men
Combining the classic shapes of rectangular lenses, the chic simplicity of clean lines and the eye-catching defining detail of a straight browline brings you Warby Parker's Conley frames.
Oversized glasses feature a large lens and frame size that can make your face look proportionate, especially with an oblong shaped face.
By covering more of your face, they can add width and balance to a longer face shape. Choose oversized glasses with thick frames and sharp angles for a fashion-forward look.
Best Oversized Frames for Women
Esperanza is a rare find with its hexagonal lenses and oversized frame. The gleaming metal wires and beveled hinges add to its unique charm.
Best Oversized Frames for Men
Bas makes a bold statement with its teardrop lenses, prominent brow line, and striking double brow bar.
Glasses to Avoid for Oblong Faces
The longer length of an oblong face can easily overshadow oval or circular frames. So, steer away from them to avoid making your already soft features seem toned down even more.
If this is still within your comfort zone, feel free to go for it—but watch out when choosing those narrow frames. Oblong faces may appear even longer because of them, even though they may look good.
However, don’t let general rules hold you back. Feel free to experiment with any frames that match your style and personality. After all, you get to decide which pair suits you the best.
How to Determine Your Face Shape
Follow these easy steps to determine your unique features. All you'll need is a flexible measuring tape and a few minutes of your time.
Grab your measuring tape and zero in on different areas of your face. Keep it level for accurate results and measure these specific features:
- Face length. The area from the top of your hairline to the lowest part of your chin.
- Forehead width. The widest part of your forehead, around halfway between your eyebrows and your hairline.
- Cheekbone width. The distance between your upper cheeks, the sharp bump below your outer eyes.
- Jawline. The distance from the tip of your chin to just below your ear.
Analyze Your Facial Measurements and Features
Use this information to determine your face shape and decide which frames will look best on you:
- Round. Round faces have equal face lengths and cheekbones. They have rounded chins with softer angles.
- Square. Square faces are generally equal in length and width with angular features. They have wide hairlines and strong jaws.
- Oval. Oval faces have smaller foreheads than cheekbones. They have wide cheekbones and rounded jaws.
- Heart. Heart-shaped faces are wider at the top than at the bottom. They have a small chin and a large forehead.
- Diamond. Diamond faces have cheekbones that are wider than their foreheads and chins. They usually have a pointed chin.
- Oblong. Oblong (or rectangular) faces are longer than they are wide. They usually have curved chins.
Use Technology to Determine Your Face Shape
Mobile apps and websites can help you determine your face shape. Certain filters on Instagram and TikTok can, too. Measure up and explore your options with these cutting-edge tools:
How to Choose a Frame Color
Frame colors can also complement your appearance. Keep these tips in mind when choosing the perfect hue:
Here's how to choose your perfect frame color based on your skin tone: If you have neutral skin tones, you'll look good with any frame color. For warm skin tones, look for warm-colored frames such as red, yellow, or orange to bring out your natural glow.
Cool skin tones with blue or purple veins will pop with shades like blue, silver, or green. And if you want a safe and versatile choice, neutral colors like gray, white, or black are always a stylish and easy pick.
Knowing your eye color can also make choosing a frame color easier.
- Green eyes. Purple, red, gold, and green frame colors look good on you.
- Brown eyes. Classic black and brown frames complement your eye tint.
- Hazel eyes. Green or brown frame colors are great to enhance them.
- Blue eyes. Blue, green, or tortoiseshell glasses frame colors suit you best.
Black frames are a versatile option that looks great with most hair colors. If you're rocking black, white, or brown hair, you have a wide range of frame colors to choose from.
However, if you're feeling bold with a vibrant hair color, we suggest trying bright and striking eyeglass frames to really make your hair pop. And for our blondes out there, pastel or muted frames will beautifully complement your locks.
5 Best Places to Buy Glasses Online
Best Overall: Warby Parker
Also Great: Liingo Eyewear
Biggest Selection: GlassesUSA
Fastest Delivery: EyeBuyDirect
Best on a Budget: Zenni Optical
Examples of Oblong Faces with Glasses
Where to Buy Glasses
Best Overall: Warby Parker
Fastest Delivery: EyeBuyDirect
Biggest Selection: GlassesUSA
Also Great: Liingo
In this article