Jump to topic
What Are Gaming Glasses?
Gamer glasses are designed for people who play games online and offline. As many gamers and e-sports competitors spend long periods in dark rooms, the blue light from a screen can affect their eyes. When people play games or look at digital screens for extended amounts of time, eye protection is necessary.
Gaming glasses are beneficial for several reasons. Gaming glasses protect against:
- Digital eye strain and stress
- Blue light
- Dry eyes
- Color distortion
- Eye fatigue
When someone stares at a television, computer, tablet, or other devices for too long, they are exposed to significant amounts of blue light. This blue light causes strain and can impair vision. Gaming glasses help reduce these issues.
Gaming glasses help reduce digital eye strain, glare, boost clarity and provide a lighter hue (yellow tint). This lighter hue allows gamers to see colors more clearly and vividly.
Blue light blocking glasses help players keep up with fast-paced games while providing an enhanced definition. Just like sunglasses help reduce harmful UV light and lessen the damage affecting eyes, gaming glasses are designed to reduce harmful blue light. This helps prevent vision impairment someone might experience if they stare at a computer or television screen for several hours a day.
Save up to 60% on basic prescription Rx eyeglass lenses. 365-day warranty at GlassesUSA.
Do Gaming Glasses Work?
Gaming glasses are similar to computer glasses. They work by countering the hue of the blue light with yellow tint or amber tint glasses. Clear-lense gamer glasses are available too. However, there’s debate as to their effectiveness.
Some blue light blocking lenses are virtually clear. They tend to have less protection vs yellow or amber lenses but still offer some degree of blue light blocking properties.
However, there are many studies on blue light blocking glasses, and there isn’t a consensus on their effectiveness.
Generally, blue light glasses are known to be useful. Gaming glasses can help protect eyes from digital eye strain resulting from overexposure to blue light. Gaming eyewear can also help people fall asleep, remain asleep, and enjoy a more restful sleep.
Commercially available blue light blocking glasses reduce adverse effects by 10.6 percent to 23.6 percent without affecting quality. Lenses that prevent blue light with wavelengths less than 450 nm (blue-violet light) on the visible spectrum also help by increasing contrast. Computer glasses with yellow-tinted lenses may improve comfort while looking at screens and monitors for long periods.
Is Gaming Eyewear Worth It?
Gaming glasses can cost around 80 dollars per pair. While there are cheaper options available, quality gaming eyewear from reputable brands cost around this price.
Blue light blocking glasses can take some time to get used to. Gamers may need some hours or even days to adapt to gaming eyewear. This is especially true if they’re used to playing games without them. During this time, gamers may find that they aren’t performing as well as they’re used to. However, this transition time is essential. Its length varies from user to user.
Many gamers spend a lot of money on equipment. For those that spend a substantial amount of time gaming, it’s likely worth spending the money on a pair of gaming glasses to protect your eyes. While blue light blocking glasses may seem expensive, the benefits make the price tag worth it.
Best Gaming Glasses
There are many glasses marketed towards gamers. Like computer eyewear, all gaming glasses offer protection against blue light. Whether you’re a gamer or spend a lot of time using a computer, blue light glasses may be beneficial for your eye health.
Gunnar Optiks is a leading designer of gaming and computer glasses. Gunnar gaming glasses are specifically produced to filter and balance light while absorbing blue light from digital screens.
Many of the best gamer glasses brands offer different types of lenses. Some of the most popular gamer lenses from Gunnar Optiks include:
- Amber tint lenses. Amber tinted computer gaming glasses offer the best enhancement of contrast and visual performance while playing video games. They also reduce screen glare and diminish the harshest areas of the color spectrum. Amber tint lenses usually filter 65% of harmful high-intensity blue light from digital screens.
- Liquet lenses. These lenses are the ideal in-between solution for gamers who require a balanced color spectrum and artificial blue light protection. Liquet lenses block 35% of damaging high-intensity blue light emitting from video games and computer screens.
- Crystalline. These computer glasses are for graphic designers, video and film editors, and visual creatives who need an equally balanced color spectrum. The crystalline lens filters 10% of damaging high-intensity blue light from computer screens.
Here are some of the best gaming glasses brands and models available:
- GUNNAR Vertex blue light blocking glasses
- GUNNAR Optiks Onyx Gaming Glasses
- GUNNAR Optiks MLG Phantom Gaming Glasses
- Gamma Ray Optix Blue Light Blocking Computer Glasses
- DUCO Optiks Advanced Computer Gaming Glasses
- ANNRI Blue Light Blocking Glasses
- Cyxus Blue Light Filter Computer Glasses
- COASION Blue Light Blocking Glasses
- STAMEN Blue Light Blocking Glasses
- ANYLUV Blue Light Blocking Glasses
- HyperX Gaming Eyewear
- J+S Vision Blue Light Computer Reading and Gaming Glasses
- Game King Clip-On Computer Glasse
- Aspectus Blue Light Blocking Glasses
Many of these options are available to purchase directly on the brand’s website or Amazon. Always check the return policy before making a purchase. Whichever gaming glasses you choose, remember that you don’t have to sacrifice the quality of your vision to protect your eye health.
Prescription Glasses and Gaming
If you rely on prescription glasses, there are a few options when playing video games. One option is to apply blue light blocking coatings to your daily glasses. This can help block blue light and reduce glare. This option means you won’t require different glasses for gaming. Another benefit is that your eyes are protected, even when you’re not gaming.
Another option is to choose prescription lenses when you order gaming glasses. As long as the frames are optical grade, they can fit lenses of different thicknesses.
If you don’t want to buy new prescription games, look for anti-glare gaming glasses that fit over your daily glasses. While it’s possible to attempt to wear standard anti-reflective gamer glasses over regular specs, some gaming glasses are extra wide to avoid scratching your prescription lenses.
Clip-on gaming glasses are also available for purchase. These gaming glasses are light and easy to store.
Get designer brand prescription eyeglass lenses for less. Free shipping & returns in the U.S., 100% money-back guarantee on GlassesUSA.