GlassesUSA is one of the largest online eyewear retailers in the world. They have been rated a top online retailer by many reputable brands. You can order different kinds of eyewear, such as prescription sunglasses and contact lenses.
GlassesUSA offers prescription glasses online, from budget to designer brands. They have a virtual try-on tool and provide free shipping along with a money-back guarantee. GlassesUSA reviews from customers are generally positive.
In this guide, I'll talk about the pros & cons of GlassesUSA.com, along with any other essential information.
Pros & Cons
GlassesUSA provides consumers with an alternative to brick-and-mortar retailers. You’ll need a prescription from your local eye doctor. But with that information, you can order prescription glasses, sunglasses, and contacts from their website.
Here are some of the biggest positive and negative aspects of GlassesUSA:
- Huge selection of frames. GlassesUSA has the internet's second-largest collection of frames (after Zenni). They also have a sizable selection of contact lenses.
- Bifocal, progressive, and multifocal lenses are available. They have a huge selection of bifocal and multifocal glasses and sunglasses. Click here to view bifocals available at GlassesUSA.
- Money-back guarantee. GlassesUSA provides a 14-day money-back guarantee and a 365-day warranty.
- 24/7 customer service. They have a customer service line open 24/7 at 1-844-244-1186.
- You can use insurance. GlassesUSA is an out-of-network provider on many vision insurance plans, including United Health Care, Spectera, EyeMed, Cigna, DavisVision, Anthem, Aetna, NVA, Humana, Lincoln Financial Group, and MediGold.
- Shipping is reliable. Your frames usually arrive within 10 to 20 days, or they have a rush option to get them there in 3 to 5 days.
- Never leave your home. You can browse their entire catalog and even use their Virtual Mirror to “try on” new glasses before buying them. You can also choose their Home Try-On option.
- Sales and discounts. GlassesUSA constantly runs sales and provides discount codes that significantly reduce your overall cost.
- Certain prescriptions are more expensive. If you have astigmatism, need bifocal or multifocal lenses, or want to upgrade to premium lenses, it can up the price of a pair of glasses quite a bit.
- Short return period. The 14-day risk-free return policy isn’t long enough for some people. Some customers have reported difficulty with the process, even though GlassesUSA claims it is hassle-free.
- Not all frames are eligible for Home Try-On. GlassesUSA only allows you to try two non-premium single-vision glasses or one non-premium pair of multifocal glasses at a time.
- Some descriptions are missing. Many of the product descriptions are very minimal or empty. This requires you to do your own research on some frames or contacts before ordering.
Product Catalog & Pricing
GlassesUSA’s catalog is its strongest attribute. They have over 9,000 frames available. You can browse through featured categories such as:
- New Arrivals
- Designer Glasses
- Kids Glasses
- Sports Glasses
You can also start by browsing their entire catalog and using filters to narrow your search. Their filters include:
- Glasses Type
- Frame Shape
- Lens Features
- Lens Type
- Frame Type
- Frame Measurements
- Progressive or bifocal lenses
There are several lens options available at an additional cost. You can add the following to any prescription or non-prescription lenses:
- Anti-scratch coating
- UV coating
- Anti-reflective coating
- Transitions (light-adjusting)
While their selection of frames and lenses is vast, their selection of contact lenses isn’t as large. Competitors, like 1800 Contacts have a much larger selection of contacts. However, you can find most name brands at competitive prices on GlassesUSA's website.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to order eyewear from GlassesUSA.
1) Prepare Your Prescription
To order prescription glasses from GlassesUSA, you need a copy of your prescription from your eye doctor. (They also sell non-prescription glasses).
2) Choose Your Eyewear
The first thing you’ll need to do is choose your prescription eyewear. If you’re ordering frames, use their Virtual Mirror tool to “try them on” using your webcam or an uploaded photo.
This is a great way to test out different shapes and sizes. Although it’s not a perfect replacement for actually trying them on in person, it helps you choose your new glasses.
3) Add Your Prescription
Once you’ve chosen your frames or contacts, you’ll have three options for adding your prescription. The first is to skip it for now and have them ask for it later. However, you won’t be able to get an accurate price until you’ve finalized your prescription and lens options.
The next is to use their Prescription Scanner app. However, the app has some serious limitations. It won't read the following:
- Complicated prescriptions
- Prescriptions containing more than one prescription
- Prism lenses
- Extra-strong prescriptions
GlassesUSA does sell progressive, bifocal, and multifocal lenses, but the app won’t help you.
The third and most convenient option is to upload the prescription information yourself. First, you’ll choose single vision, near vision, progressive, bifocal, or non-prescription lenses. You’ll then enter all your prescription information.
4) Choose Your Lens Package
5) Choose Your Lens Type
The next step is to choose your lens type. The options are:
- Clear-Blue Light
- Photochromic (Transitions)
You can also choose a Super Hydrophobic coating that helps keep water and fingerprints off your lenses. The last option is to add a One Year Enhanced Coverage Plan which covers damage from wear and tear, accidental damage, or prescriptions changes.
6) Pay and Wait for Your Eyewear
Once you’re finished with your selections, you can checkout using a credit card, PayPal, or Amazon Pay. Paying through store credit or a discount coupon is also an option. For shipping, you can choose from:
- Standard (7 to 10 business days)
- Expedited (5 to 7 business days)
- Express (3 to 5 business days)
These shipping times are estimates. Actual shipment times may vary.
Here’s a video from GlassesUSA detailing their ordering process:
Deliveries and Returns
You can expect approximately 3 to 6 days of processing time to make your new pair of glasses. Multifocal or extra strong prescriptions, along with sunglasses, may take longer.
Once they’re ready, you can expect your glasses to arrive within your chosen shipping window. Standard (7 to 10 business days), Expedited (5 to 7 business days), or Express (3 to 5 business days).
Your frames will arrive in a hard case with a prescription card and some coupons.
GlassesUSA claims to provide a “hassle-free” return policy. You can return your order for a full refund, 100 percent store credit, or a product exchange.
Just go to their Returns Form page and follow these four steps:
- Enter the Order ID and Email address associated with your order.
- Print a prepaid return shipping label
- Place all the items you’re returning in an envelope
- Put the shipping label on the envelope and mail it
Here’s a video from GlassesUSA detailing their return process:
GlassesUSA has 24/7 customer support. You can contact them via:
- Live Chat on their Website
- Phone number: 1-844-244-1186
- Email: email@example.com
- Their Contact Form
Most customer reviews that mention customer service say that the experience was satisfactory. However, some customers expressed difficulty connecting to or dealing with GlassesUSA customer service.
Reviews and Reputation
GlassesUSA has been in business for over 10 years. Many reputable brands, including Good Housekeeping (1), cnet (2), Forbes (3), and verywellhealth (4), name them as a top online vision retailer. Customer reviews are generally favorable.
The most common complaints mention difficulty with customer service and returns.
As of March 2021, GlassesUSA received the following scores on review sites:
- Trustpilot: 4.5 / 5
- Reseller Ratings: 4.53 / 5
- Sitejabber: 4.15 / 5
Alternatives to GlassesUSA include:
- Warby Parker designs and produces its own glasses. Every frame is hand-assembled and polished. They will ship you up to 5 frames to try for 5 days. Then you return all the frames or the ones you don’t want. Shipping is free both ways.
- Zenni Optical is the only online retailer with a larger selection of frames than GlassesUSA.
- AC Lens is one of the cheapest online eyewear retailers. They often have the best price on designer frames, budget glasses, sunglasses, and contacts.
- 1800 Contacts has the best selection of contact lenses on the internet. They are our top choice for ordering contacts online.
- LensCrafters is a reliable company that has a huge brick-and-mortar presence. Their website is also convenient and reliable.
GlassesUSA is a reliable site for ordering glasses, sunglasses, and contacts. Their prices are competitive, and the ordering process is convenient. Their 14-day return window is a bit short but is effective. Their 100% money-back guarantee makes them a great choice.
In this article
Best Places to Buy Glasses
Warby Parker has stylish, high-quality frames at affordable prices.
Liingo Eyewear is another great option to buy glasses online.
Best on a Budget
EyeBuyDirect has a wide variety of budget frames starting at $6.
Best Places to Buy Contacts
1-800 Contacts is our #1 recommendation to buy contacts online.
GlassesUSA has a huge selection of contacts, glasses, & sunglasses.