Are you looking for a way to protect your eyes from the sun but want to avoid the hassle of carrying bulky sunglasses around? Clip-on sunglasses could be just the thing for you.
They are an excellent choice for those with prescription glasses wanting to enjoy the sun without switching out their frames or buying an extra pair.
How Do Clip-On Sunglasses Work?
These budget-friendly accessories easily attach to your regular eyeglasses. They often use a clip by the nose bridge, magnet, or hinged arm system.
Clip-on sunglasses are lightweight, affordable, and available in various tints, sizes, and shapes. They also provide varying levels of UV protection so that you can choose the best option for your eyes.
Everything we recommend
Here are some of the most popular frame styles and tint options for clip-on sunglasses:
- Rectangle. Perfect for those who seek a familiar, classic look
- Oval. A more stylish option for those who prefer a softer silhouette
- Round. For a vintage, retro vibe
- Square. If you’re looking for a modern, angular style
- Rimless. The barely-there frame for a lightweight, minimalistic look
- Magnetic. The easiest way to attach sunglasses using magnets instead of clips
- Polarized. Provide better protection against harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays and reduce glare from surfaces such as water, roads, and snow
Benefits of Clip-on Sunglasses
Clip-on sunglasses offer an array of benefits, including:
- Affordability. Clip-ons are usually cheaper than regular sunglasses, making them an excellent choice for those on a budget.
- Flexibility. As long as your frames have a nose bridge, you can easily pop on and take off clip-on sunglasses. You can even change the tint to suit the weather or your mood.
- UV and eye protection. Clip-ons are available with various tints, including polarized and mirrored lenses that offer great protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Blue light-blocking lenses protect your eyes from electronic devices like smartphones and tablets.
- Comfort. They fit comfortably and securely on most glasses, so you can wear them all day without worrying about them slipping or shifting.
- Convenience. Clip-ons are much smaller and lighter than regular sunglasses, making them easy to carry anywhere.
- Variety of coatings (anti-glare, etc.) Clip-on sunglasses come with special coatings that help reduce glare and refraction for those near water or snow.
- Extra Features. Many clip-ons are also scratch-resistant and have a protective case for extra durability. Others have multiple color options for those who like to change their look.
Are Clip-On Sunglasses Any Good?
Clip-on sunglasses offer the same level of protection as regular sunglasses, but with one condition—they must fit properly.
If the clip-ons don't match your eyeglasses’ shape and size, you risk compromising their protection level. Furthermore, opting for clip-ons that provide the highest level of UV protection (400) to ensure your eyes stay safe and healthy under the sun is crucial.
Click here for more information on the best types of sunglasses for your face shape.
Choosing the Right Clip-On Sunglasses
There are a few factors to consider when selecting clip-on sunglasses:
- Ensure that the clips fit securely over your frames—the clips should be the same thickness as your glasses
- Consider the tint, as some lenses offer more UV protection than others
- If you plan to carry it in a bag or pocket, choose clip-on sunglasses with a protective case to prevent damage
You should also pick a style that complements your facial features and eyeglasses for an effortless look. You should go to a store and try on various clip-ons until you find the right fit.
Do You Wear Clip-On Sunglasses Over Prescription Glasses?
Yes, you simply attach them to your prescription glasses for instant protection from the sun. They’re perfect for busy days behind the wheel or when your hands are full and need shade in a snap.
The trick is to find clip-ons that fit your frames snugly and securely. Magnetic clip-ons are a great option, as they stay in place better than the clips that attach to your nose bridge or hinge arms.
Again, whatever type of clip-on sunglasses you choose, check their tint and UV protection level to benefit from the best possible protection for your eyes.
Prescription Sunglasses vs. Clip-On Sunglasses
Many people prefer clip-on sunglasses to prescription ones because of their affordability and flexibility. With clip-ons, you simply attach and remove the lenses whenever needed.
Plus, you don't need to worry about having extra prescription sunglasses around. Your eyes adjust to the tint of clip-ons quickly so that you won't experience any discomfort or blurriness due to the lens change.
Prescription sunglasses are generally more durable, less bulky, and provide a more secure fit than their clip-on counterparts.
It all comes down to personal preference and lifestyle. If you're looking for a more affordable and flexible option, clip-ons are the way to go.
What Are The Best Clip-On Sunglasses?
Splaks clip-on sunglasses are some of the best-reviewed glasses on the market. UV 400 protection (the highest level available) is perfect for people who like outdoor activities like sports, hiking, and cycling.
Plus, you can easily flip them up without taking them off. With a range of plastic and wire-rim frames, this makes for an effortless transition from sunny to shady or indoor to outdoor settings.
Flip Up Sunglasses offer protection, comfort, and convenience. Like Splaks, these glasses also come with level UV 400 protection.
They attach to the frame of your regular glasses, so you can flip them up or down without taking them off. To get the perfect fit, remember to measure your existing glasses before purchasing Flip Up Sunglasses.
SolarShield clip-on sunglasses have consistently received high recommendations from optometrists. This solidifies their position as the top-selling brand for over 25 years.
This pair offers a winning combination of protection, style, and affordability, making it the go-to choice for many.
COSTYLE clip-on sunglasses offer the maximum level of UV protection. People love them because they’re stylish and come in various options. They feature sturdy metal frames that fit securely to your regular prescription lenses.
Ray-Ban’s a beloved brand renowned for its iconic sunglasses. Its decades-old heritage offers traditional sunglasses that have stood the test of time.
Ray-Ban wearers don’t need to worry about switching to another brand if they want the convenience and comfort of clip-ons. You can enjoy the classic look of aviator sunglasses without sacrificing comfort or safety.
Ray-Ban clip-on sunglasses come in different shapes, sizes, and styles, ensuring polarized lenses with anti-glare protection.
Clip-on sunglasses are a convenient way to protect your eyes from the sun. They clip onto your existing eyeglasses, so you don't need to switch between sunglasses and regular glasses.
The brands above are some of the best clip-on sunglasses available. Consult with your doctor if you need a prescription clip-on or need to address specific concerns.
In this article
Best Places to Buy Glasses
Warby Parker has stylish, high-quality frames at affordable prices.
Liingo Eyewear is another great option to buy glasses online.
Best on a Budget
EyeBuyDirect has a wide variety of budget frames starting at $6.
Best Places to Buy Contacts
1-800 Contacts is our #1 recommendation to buy contacts online.
GlassesUSA has a huge selection of contacts, glasses, & sunglasses.