How to Read Glasses Measurements
You might be prescribed glasses to treat myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), or astigmatism.2 Or you may just wear everyday sunglasses.
All glasses have measurements that indicate their size. They’re typically listed on your eyeglasses' temples (or the arms).
Prescription glasses also have a measurement that indicates your vision strength. But this number is different from the frame measurements.3
Reading your glasses measurements might seem confusing. But it’s simple.
It’s also important to make sure that you have the correct frame size. Properly fitted glasses can help you see better and avoid poor vision symptoms or injuries.
The number might read like this: 52–20–145.4 There are several numbers because there are several measurements to look for:
The lens width is also known as the eye size or horizontal width of your lenses. It refers to the horizontal length of the lens at the widest point. This number is usually around 50 millimeters for most eyeglass frames.4
The bridge width refers to the length of the part of the glasses that sit over your nose. The bridge size typically ranges from 14 to 24 millimeters.4
The temple length refers to the arm length of the glasses. The arms are typically around 135 to 145 millimeters.4
The lens height refers to the vertical height of the lenses at the longest point. The lens height is usually around 32 to 38 millimeters.4
How to Measure Glasses Yourself
If you cannot find the measurements listed on the arms of your glasses, you can measure them yourself.
You will need a tape measure or a ruler. Make sure to measure all of the following:4
- Entire frame size
- Lens (width and height)
- Bridge width
- Arm length
When measuring the entire length of your glasses frames, start with one frame and measure from its hinge to the outside hinge of the other frame.
To measure the width of the two lenses from the entire frame length, measure the bridge width first. Then subtract that number from the entire eyeglass frame and divide it by two to get the width of each lens.
How to Measure Your Face for Eyeglasses
Sure, you can try on different glasses and pick what feels right. Or you can measure your face to select a pair of eyeglasses that fit properly.
Measuring your face for your eyeglasses is easy.
You will also need a tape measure or ruler. Make sure to measure all of the following:4
- The width of your bridge (where the glasses sit on your nose below your brow line)
- The length from your left temple to your right temple
With these two measurements, you can estimate the ideal lens size. Subtract the width of your bridge from the length between your two temples. Divide that number in half to get your lens size.
When it comes to calculating the appropriate temple length for your glasses arms, consider your temple measurement:
- A temple measurement of 129 millimeters or less generally works with 135- to 140-millimeter arms.
- For temple measurements of 130 to 139 millimeters, choose arms that are 140 to 145 millimeters in length.
- Any temple measurement wider than 139 millimeters generally requires glasses with arms that are at least 150 millimeters long.
Other Tips for Choosing the Right Glasses
Making sure you have the right glasses is important. Here are some other tips for choosing a pair of glasses that will benefit you best:
- Talk to an expert. Reach out to your eye doctor or a brand representative at the store where you’re shopping.
- Try them first. If you’re in a store, try on different glasses to see what you like best. If you’re shopping from home, explore your options online. Some stores offer digital try-ons or allow you to try them on at home before buying.
- Consider your eye shape. Your face shape will affect the size of your glasses, but your eye shape can affect your vision, too. So be mindful of what types of lenses you need, which can affect the size of the frames you need.
Finding the right pair of glasses is important to your vision health. But there’s more to it than picking the right lens type, like single vision vs. multifocal.1
The correct frame size can help you see clearer and avoid any symptoms and injuries associated with poor vision.
If you already have a pair of glasses, you can look for the glasses’ measurement on one of the arms. If you cannot find the number, you can calculate the right frame size, bridge width, and temple length yourself.
If shopping for glasses online, you may be able to search by the frame model or frame style. You can calculate the frame measurements you need by measuring your face first.
Talk to your eye doctor or a store specialist who can help you find frames that work.
In this article
Best Places to Buy Glasses
Warby Parker has stylish, high-quality frames at affordable prices.
Liingo Eyewear is another great option to buy glasses online.
Best on a Budget
EyeBuyDirect has a wide variety of budget frames starting at $6.
Best Places to Buy Contacts
1-800 Contacts is our #1 recommendation to buy contacts online.
GlassesUSA has a huge selection of contacts, glasses, & sunglasses.