What are Weighted Eye Masks?
Weighted eye masks, similar to weighted blankets, weigh from a couple of ounces to one pound. They are made using materials like microbeads or sand.
Weighted eye masks distribute weight across the face to promote better sleep and relaxation. They also increase darkness, which can induce calmness.
Weighted eye masks come in various shapes, styles, and sizes. They are made using soft fabrics, including silk, satin, fleece, and cotton, and some incorporate aromatherapy.
What are the Benefits of Weighted Eye Masks?
There is limited data on the effectiveness of weighted blankets in improving sleep and reducing anxiety. However, many people have reported feeling relaxed wearing a weighted eye mask.
The benefits include:
- Help with insomnia
- More relaxation
- Increased darkness, which balances the circadian rhythm
- Deep pressure to calm anxiety
- A sense of safety after a stressful day
- Decreased risk of headaches and migraines
8 Best Weighted Eye Masks of 2023
Based on our research and testing, here are some of the best weighted eye masks available today:
1. Best Overall Weighted Eye Mask: Gravity Blanket Weighted Sleep Mask
The Gravity Blanket Weighted Sleep Mask uses the same polyester and microfleece material as its weighted blanket counterpart. It weighs one pound and evenly distributes weight across your face without putting pressure on your eyes. Its snug fit helps keep it secure throughout the night, leading to deeper sleep.
- Soft material
- Velcro closure
- Blocks out light
- Not TSA compatible for flying
- Some people report it being too heavy
2. Best Strapless Weighted Eye Mask: Nodpod Gentle Pressure Sleep Mask
Nodpod’s Gentle Pressure Sleep Mask is perfect for people who find straps uncomfortable. It comes in various colors and is filled with beads to apply light pressure to your head and face.
It can also be put in the freezer for a cooling experience.
- Machine washable
- Tends to fall off while sleeping
- It does not completely block out light
3. Best Weighted Eye Mask for Relaxation: ASUTRA Silk Eye Pillow for Sleep
The ASUTRA Silk Eye Pillow is geared toward relaxation. It is made of silk and filled with lavender and flax seed, creating the perfect fit around your nose. It was listed on Oprah’s Favorite Things 2022 list.
- All natural ingredients
- Made with 100% silk
- Can add more lavender and flax seed when needed
- It may be an irritant to people sensitive to smell
4. Best Weighted Eye Mask for Migraines: IMAK Compression Pain Relief Mask and Eye Pillow
An orthopedic surgeon designed the IMAK Compression Pain Relief Mask and Eye Pillow to help relieve migraine and headache pain.
It is filled with massaging ergoBeads, providing pressure around the face and eyes.
- Designed for pain relief
- Reduces eye puffiness
- Not adjustable
- People complained that it didn’t get cold enough in the freezer
5. Best Weighted Eye Mask for a Budget: Sysrion Weighted Eye Mask
The Sysrion Weighted Eye Mask is a good option for people not looking to spend a lot of money but wanting to enjoy the comforts of a high-quality eye mask.
It can also be used as a cold compress to relieve eye puffiness, dry eyes, and headaches.
- Easy cleaning
- Adjustable strap
- It doesn’t work well for side sleepers
6. Best Smart Weighted Eye Mask: Eye Massager with Heat
The Eye Massager with Heat is a Smart option for an eye mask. It incorporates massage technology, heat, and the ability to play music. It’s not a traditional weighted eye mask but provides a unique calming experience to promote sleep and relaxation.
- Utilizes heat
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Three massage modes
- It may be uncomfortable to sleep with
- Speakers may be too loud
7. Best Blackout Weighted Eye Mask: Ocushield Eye Mask for Improved Sleep
The Ocushield Eye Mask is designed to block out light and produce a dark atmosphere for sleep. It can be used as both a hot and cold compress.
- Lightweight with adjustable strap
- People complain that it is too heavy
8. Best Weighted Eye Mask for Travel: Mavogel Weighted Eye Mask
The Mavogel Weighted Eye Mask has a removable insert that makes it ideal for traveling. You can remove the weighted insert if you’re trying to rest on an airplane or other transportation.
- Removable insert
- 100% silk
- People complain that the beads don’t get cold enough
Tips for Choosing a Weighted Eye Mask
Choosing a weighted eye mask that works for you will depend on your goals. Whether it's helping with insomnia or looking to reduce stress, there are a variety of beneficial weighted eye masks.
When choosing a weighted eye mask, consider the following:
- Blackout capability. This is if you’re looking for complete darkness.
- Fabric. Soft, breathable fabrics make eye masks more comfortable.
- Shape and fit. Adjustability helps keep the mask in place.
- Aromatherapy. Pleasant smells help you relax.
- Freezing capability. Putting masks in the freezer creates cold compresses.
- Weight. The appropriate weight can provide relaxing pressure.
Weighted eye masks are typically made with soft, breathable fabric. They are filled with a weighted substance, such as microbeads and sand, to promote sleep, darkness, and a calm environment.
The benefits of weighted eye masks include reduced anxiety, feelings of safety, and help with insomnia. Weighted eye masks come in various shapes, colors, and fits. Things to consider when choosing a weighted eye mask include blackout capability, fabric, and the ability to adjust the fit.
In this article