Best Eye Doctors In Virginia Beach, VA
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Virginia Beach Optometrists in Virginia Beach, Virginia Beach, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Virginia Beach reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Virginia Beach.
Gilbert Eyecare – Virginia Beach
1547 Laskin Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
This eye care center is lauded for its professional, friendly, and efficient staff. Reviewers note the doctors’ thorough exams and engaging bedside manner. Customers appreciate the ample eyewear selection and guidance in choosing new frames. One reviewer did report unexpected additional exam fees. Overall the center is highly regarded for attentive customer service and skilled care.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Multiple reviews mention the staff being nice, friendly, and professional. They take the time to explain the process and answer questions, making patients feel comfortable during their eye exams.
- Convenience and efficiency: Several reviewers appreciated the efficiency of the eye care center. They mention being able to get their eye exams, choose new glasses, and complete the entire process quickly. This includes not having to wait for long periods of time and having easy access to try on and select frames.
- Great experience with children: Parents were particularly pleased with their children's experience at the eye care center. They mention that the staff was excellent with kids and made the eye exams fun, which is a significant advantage for families.
Beach Eye Care
1201 First Colonial Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23454
Beach Eye Care is well reviewed for knowledgeable doctors and convenient exam locations. Patients describe the staff as great, professional, and helpful. Dr. Tang stands out for his clear explanations and efficient exams. A few patients report issues with customer service, communication, and glasses prescriptions.
- Competent and welcoming professionals: Multiple reviews mention that the eye exams at this location are thorough and conducted by competent and welcoming professionals.
- Patient-centered approach: Several reviews mention that the doctors and staff at this eye care center listen to patients' concerns, do not upsell unnecessary tests or products, and take the time to answer questions and provide clear instructions.
- Wide selection of frames: One reviewer specifically mentions the great selection of frames available at this eye care center.
Wagner Kapoor Institute
1800 Republic Rd Suite 102, Virginia Beach, VA 23454
Most patients had positive experiences at this eye care center, citing cleanliness, professional staff, and comprehensive exams. Drs. Scripsema, Wagner, and Kapoor were praised for their expertise, compassion, and clear communication. One patient complained Dr. Kapoor did not adequately explain or follow up on a retina disease diagnosis.
- Polite, professional, and attentive staff.
- Thorough and informative eye exams.
- Doctors are caring, knowledgeable, and take the time to explain and answer questions.
Mark A. Pavilack, MD
1788 Republic Rd Ste 200, Virginia Beach, VA 23454
Dr. Pavilack receives positive feedback for his professional expertise and patient-centered care. Many patients appreciate his skill in cataract surgeries and comprehensive eye exams. However, some note frustration with long wait times despite brief appointments. In general, Dr. Pavilack is an astute clinician suited for complex ophthalmic issues, though those seeking a more personalized experience may encounter challenges.
- Dr. Pavilack and his team provide exceptional care and expertise, particularly for cataract surgery and ongoing eye care.
- Dr. Pavilack is thorough, knowledgeable, and communicates clearly, making patients feel comfortable and well-informed during their visits.
- The staff is efficient, professional, and prompt, creating a pleasant and courteous atmosphere for patients.
Crystal Clear Eye Surgeons
848 First Colonial Rd a, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Crystal Clear Eye Surgeons receives mostly positive reviews for their friendly, efficient staff and knowledgeable, competent doctors who take time to address concerns and provide thorough care. However, one negative review cited an incorrect prescription and unresponsive customer service. Overall, Crystal Clear appears a reliable, trustworthy eye care choice.
- Efficient and professional reception: The staff at this eye care center is praised for their wonderful reception, efficiency, and professionalism. Patients appreciate that they are kept on time and that everyone is courteous and helpful.
- Knowledgeable and friendly staff: The doctors and staff at this eye care center are described as kind, knowledgeable, and courteous. They take the time to talk with their patients, answer their questions, and provide personalized care. Patients feel comfortable and well taken care of during their visits.
- Excellent results and high-quality care: Many patients report positive experiences and successful outcomes from their eye care treatments and surgeries. They feel that the doctors and staff provide top-quality care and are dedicated to their patients' well-being.
Samuel N. Garrett, MD
465 N Great Neck Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23454
Dr. Garrett provides knowledgeable, thorough eye care with a caring approach that puts patients at ease. Patients consistently describe him and his friendly, helpful staff favorably. His expertise in cataract surgery and other procedures yields excellent outcomes and improved vision per patients. Overall, he instills confidence through attentive examination and clear explanations, delivering satisfactory service.
- Dr. Garrett is highly recommended for his caring and attentive approach to eye care.
- The staff at Dr. Garrett's office are friendly and helpful, providing a pleasant experience for patients.
- Dr. Garrett is knowledgeable and explains complex conditions in a way that is easily understood by patients.
Dr. Danielle Huynh
525 First Colonial Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Dr. Huynh receives positive reviews for her professional, unrushed eye exams and clear explanations. Patients feel comfortable with her attentive care. A few reviewers mentioned unexpected fees for contacts. Most praise Dr. Huynh’s expertise and her helpful staff.
- Friendly and efficient service, with fast appointments available.
- Dr. Huynh is professional, thorough, and takes the time to explain each step of the eye exam.
- The staff is patient, accommodating, and helpful, especially for first-time eye exams or for those with specific needs.
- Dr. Huynh provides a comfortable and valued experience, making patients feel at ease during their visit.
- Dr. Huynh is highly knowledgeable and breaks down complex information into understandable terms.
- The office is small and provides a more personalized experience compared to larger eye care centers.
- Dr. Thompson is recommended for both contact lenses and glasses exams.
- The optometrist handles appointments in a non-rushed manner, allowing time for questions and thorough care.
- The office is efficient, making last-minute appointments and providing a thorough and quick experience.
- Dr. Huynh is kind, considerate, and goes the extra mile to ensure patient comfort during the exam process.
- The team is helpful, understanding, and maintains a positive and caring attitude.
- Dr. Huynh makes anxious patients feel at ease and takes the time to explain each step of the examination process.
- Dr. Huynh is an excellent doctor, who provides clear and simple explanations for all procedures.
- Dr. Huynh is wonderful with children, explaining the exam process and answering all questions.
- The office provides a quick and efficient exam, with explanations provided throughout.
525 First Colonial Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Customers consistently had positive experiences at the First Colonial Target optical. Employees like Kristie and Sandra were praised for their helpfulness, knowledge, and excellent customer service. Wait times were minimal. Glasses and contacts arrived quickly. Customers highly recommend this location.
- Excellent customer service: Multiple reviewers mention the helpful and kind staff, specifically mentioning individuals like Kristie and Sandra who were highly knowledgeable, patient, and provided great assistance in selecting the right glasses or frames.
- Quick and efficient: Several reviews note the short wait times and quick appointment process. One review even mentioned being in and out of the eye appointment within 15-20 minutes. Additionally, some reviewers mention receiving their glasses or contacts ahead of schedule.
- Affordable options: Reviewers appreciate the staff's efforts in finding more affordable options for glasses, especially for those with insurance coverage. They also mention the ability to get good deals and not feeling pressured to purchase extras.
1449 Tomcat Blvd Bldg 292, Virginia Beach, VA 23460
Patients consistently mention Dr. Danielle Huynh’s professional and friendly demeanor, thorough eye exams, and helpful explanations. However, one patient reported a condescending interaction. Most patients express satisfaction and recommend Dr. Huynh.
- Professional and friendly service: Multiple reviews mention the staff and optometrist being professional and friendly, creating a comfortable environment for eye exams.
- Thorough and precise eye exams: Many reviewers highlight the accurate prescriptions and the optometrist's thoroughness in explaining each step of the exam.
- Quick and efficient service: Several reviews mention the eye exams being conducted in a time-efficient manner, minimizing waiting time and providing a pleasant experience.
America’s Best Contacts & Eyeglasses
549 Hilltop Plaza, Virginia Beach, VA 23454
Overall, reviews indicate this is a quality eye care center with helpful staff. While some experienced issues with rude doctors or unexpected charges, most praise the knowledgeable doctors, friendly staff, and top-notch service during exams and frame selection.
- Top-notch service during the eye exam, with the doctor explaining the purpose of each machine used.
- Helpful and knowledgeable staff who assist with picking out glasses and provide guidance on what fits your face.
- Pleasant and professional staff who offer a fast and efficient process for eye exams and frame selection.
Mercer M Alison OD
1788 Republic Rd Ste 200, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
Dr. Mercer Alison receives glowing reviews for her professionalism, thorough exams, and dedication to ophthalmology. Patients feel well-cared for by Dr. Alison and staff at the Tidewater Eye-care Center, citing their expertise and attentiveness during appointments. One review mentioned longer than expected wait times for scheduling. Patients overwhelmingly recommend the center and Dr. Alison for top-notch eye care.
- Courteous and efficient staff
- Dr. Alison is knowledgeable, compassionate, and provides effective solutions
- Dr. Mercer is professional, thorough, and kind
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in Virginia
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In Virginia in 2018, a higher percentage of individuals aged 65 and older experienced blindness or difficulty seeing compared to those aged 40-64. in Virginia, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in Virginia
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in Virginia.
- The The percentage of people in Virginia that were blind or had difficulty seeing in 2018 was almost double for those with diabetes, indicating that having diabetes increases your risk of vision problems by approximately 4.46%. and In Virginia in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was higher among those who smoked tobacco (7.61%) compared to the overall population (4.36%), indicating that smoking increases the risk of vision problems by approximately 3.25%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in Virginia
- In Virginia, 4.36% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in Virginia
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 2.65% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 4.52% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in Virginia face even higher rates at 7.24%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in Virginia
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in Virginia.
- 8.82% of those with diabetes and 7.61% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in Virginia
- Early vision care is crucial, with 72.88% of children in Virginia having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 0.75% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in Virginia
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 4.36% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in Virginia.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.