Best Eye Doctors In Chesapeake, VA
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Chesapeake Optometrists in Chesapeake, Chesapeake, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Chesapeake reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Chesapeake.
Great Bridge Eye Care
160 Mt Pleasant Rd, Chesapeake, VA 23322, United States
Great Bridge Eye Care earns rave reviews for its professional yet approachable doctors and comprehensive eye exams. Patients commend the knowledgeable and patient staff, thorough eye exams using advanced technology, and family-friendly atmosphere. The highly-recommended doctors expertly address vision needs. Overall, Great Bridge Eye Care provides excellent eye care in a trusted, comfortable setting.
- Professional and knowledgeable staff: The reviews consistently mention that the staff at Great Bridge Eye Care are professional, knowledgeable, and thorough in their approach to eye exams. This indicates that you can expect high-quality eye care from experienced professionals.
- Friendly and welcoming atmosphere: Many reviewers comment on the friendly and welcoming atmosphere at Great Bridge Eye Care. This suggests that you can expect a positive and comfortable experience during your visit, which is especially important for those who may be anxious or have children in need of eye exams.
- Comprehensive and thorough eye exams: Multiple reviews mention that the eye exams conducted at Great Bridge Eye Care are thorough and comprehensive. This indicates that the optometrists take the time to conduct a detailed evaluation of your eye health and provide you with all the necessary information.
Medical & Surgical Eye Specialists – Chesapeake
200 Medical Pkwy #209, Chesapeake, VA 23320
The eye care center receives high marks for its professional, thorough staff and convenient locations. Patients value punctual appointments and doctors who explain conditions clearly. Some critique difficult phone accessibility. Still, most reviews recommend the practice for its knowledgeable, caring doctors and staff.
- Professional and Thorough Staff: The staff at this eye care center is highly praised for their professionalism, thoroughness, and patience. They ensure that patients feel comfortable and well-informed during their appointments.
- Convenient Locations: The Chesapeake office is located behind Chesapeake Regional, making it very convenient for patients in the area. This is especially appreciated by families who have multiple members receiving care at the center.
- On-Time Appointments: Many reviewers mentioned that their appointments started on time, indicating that the center values punctuality and respects their patients' time.
1412 Greenbrier Pkwy # 108A, Chesapeake, VA 23320
The majority of patients speak highly of the knowledgeable, thorough doctors who take time to explain eye exams. Patients also appreciate the helpful, friendly staff. However, one patient encountered a rude receptionist and another mentioned long wait times.
- Knowledgeable and friendly doctors: Multiple reviews praise the doctors for their knowledge, thoroughness, and ability to explain the eye exam process. They are also described as patient and informative.
- Helpful and welcoming staff: Reviewers appreciate the welcoming and friendly staff, who are described as polite, kind, and professional. They provide excellent customer service, assist in frame selection, and help with insurance and payment options. The staff is also praised for their knowledge and willingness to work as a team.
- Efficient and quick service: Several reviews mention that the appointment process is fast and efficient, allowing customers to have their eye exam, choose frames, and order/pay for glasses within a short period of time.
Griffey Eye Care & Laser Center – Kempsville
560 Kempsville Rd #100, Chesapeake, VA 23320
The eye care center received mostly positive feedback for the attentive service of its eye doctors and technicians. However, some patients reported long waits, billing issues, unhelpful staff, and prescription errors that made them consider changing providers.
- Thorough and knowledgeable staff: The technicians, nurses, and Dr. Fox were praised for being thorough in explaining the eye exam process and providing a great overall experience.
- Quick and efficient care: Several reviewers mentioned that despite the busy nature of the eye care center, they were seen in a timely manner and their needs were addressed promptly.
- Expertise in eye care: Reviewers expressed confidence in the clinical skills of both Dr. Griffey and Dr. Fox, praising their ability to address various eye issues and provide high-quality care.
Eastern Virginia Eye Associates
1108 Cedar Rd, Chesapeake, VA 23322
The eye care center received favorable reviews for their friendly, welcoming staff who carefully guided patients through thorough eye exams. Exam findings were explained clearly. The facility also followed COVID safety protocols. Patients overall had positive experiences, though some felt eyeglass prices were high.
- Professional and friendly staff: Reviewers mentioned that the staff at this eye care center was professional, friendly, and patient. They did not rush through the exams and took the time to explain findings and answer questions, making patients feel comfortable and well-cared for.
- Comprehensive and thorough eye exams: Many reviewers praised the extensive and detailed eye exams they received at this center. They felt that the exams were comprehensive and not rushed, allowing for informed decision-making about their eye health.
- Welcoming and accommodating environment: Several reviewers mentioned feeling welcomed and valued as new patients. They appreciated the friendly and helpful nature of the staff, as well as the modern and well-maintained facility.
Gontarek Eye Care
501 N Battlefield Blvd Suite B, Chesapeake, VA 23320
Gontarek Eye Care patients consistently describe friendly, professional service and a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere. Thorough exams and careful prescription practices ensure each visit is a positive experience.
- Excellent customer service: Reviewers consistently praise the staff at Gontarek Eye Care for their friendliness, professionalism, and helpfulness. They make patients feel welcome and comfortable throughout the eye exam process.
- Thorough eye exams: Many reviewers mention that they had the best eye exams they've ever experienced at Gontarek Eye Care. The doctors are described as caring and detailed, taking the time to explain the examination process and ensuring that prescriptions are accurate. The clinic also uses top-notch equipment to provide thorough and comprehensive eye exams.
- Personalized care: Several reviewers appreciate the personalized care they receive at Gontarek Eye Care. They mention that the doctors and staff take the time to listen to concerns and provide individualized solutions. This personalized approach is especially valued by patients with unique needs, such as those with dementia or complex prescription changes.
Eye Care Center of Chesapeake
801 Volvo Pkwy #133, Chesapeake, VA 23320
Patients appreciate the excellent customer service, timeliness, and comprehensive eye exams at this eye care center. Dr. Miller and his friendly, professional staff put patients at ease with their expertise during exams. While some reviewers note feeling pressure to buy eyewear, most praise Dr. Miller’s extensive experience and attentive care.
- Prompt and thorough eye exams: Multiple reviewers praised the eye care center for providing prompt and thorough eye exams. They mentioned being seen promptly for their appointments and appreciated the attention and time dedicated by Dr. Miller during the exam.
- Friendly and professional staff: Reviewers consistently mentioned the friendly and professional staff at the eye care center. They felt welcomed and supported from the moment they walked in, and appreciated the kind and engaging interactions with both the front desk staff and the eye care professionals.
- Excellent customer service: Several reviewers mentioned the exceptional customer service provided by the eye care center. They highlighted the smiling faces, the courteous and helpful staff, and the overall positive experience they had from start to finish.
Beach Eye Care
1501 Cedar Rd #113, Chesapeake, VA 23322
Customers consistently describe the eye care center staff as friendly, professional, and helpful. Patients specifically praise Dr. Ritenour and Dr. Levine for their expertise during exams. Jimmy, Wendy, Cheena and Jessfry receive high marks for guiding customers in choosing glasses and providing excellent service.
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff: Multiple reviewers praise the staff at the eye care center, mentioning specific employees by name. They commend the staff for being helpful, patient, and professional.
- Thorough and comprehensive eye exams: Reviewers appreciate the detailed and thorough eye exams they received at the center. They mention that the optometrists took the time to explain the results and answer any questions, making them feel informed and well taken care of.
- Wide selection of frames and assistance in finding the perfect fit: Several reviewers mention the assistance they received in finding the perfect pair of glasses. They commend the staff for helping them select frames that fit well and compliment their face shape.
Virginia Pediatric Eye Center
1564 Crossways Blvd, Chesapeake, VA 23320
Customers largely reported positive experiences at Virginia Pediatric Eye Center, noting the staff and doctors’ professionalism, attentiveness, and expertise, with personalized care for each child. The clinic was praised for its kid-friendly atmosphere and prompt service. While most were grateful for the staff’s patience and compassion, one reviewer had a frustrating encounter with a receptionist. In general, customers recommend the center for its exceptional pediatric eye care.
- Outstanding experience from start to finish, with friendly and attentive staff.
- Knowledgeable and caring doctors who provide thorough and comprehensive eye exams.
- Kid-friendly and welcoming environment, with doctors who interact well with children.
1316 Greenbrier Pkwy, Chesapeake, VA 23320
This eye care center provides excellent customer service. Staff are friendly, professional, and patient with all customers, especially children. Free repairs, expert advice on frames, and overall wonderful experiences make this a top choice for meeting all optical needs.
- Friendly and professional staff: The eye care center is praised for its friendly and professional staff members who are patient, knowledgeable, and provide excellent customer service.
- Expert and passionate doctor: The optometrist at the center is described as expert and passionate, providing thorough explanations and ensuring a positive experience.
- Convenient location: The center's location inside Target is seen as a benefit, allowing customers to conveniently shop for glasses or other items after their eye appointments.
Tom Edmonds, MD
805 N Battlefield Blvd #111, Chesapeake, VA 23320
Dr. Tom Edmonds of Tidewater Eye Care is highly regarded for his attentive care, expertise, and thoughtful treatment of patients. His efficient, friendly staff provide a professional experience. Patients recommend Dr. Edmonds for cataract surgery, glaucoma treatment, and other eye care needs.
- Thorough and knowledgeable eye examinations: Multiple reviewers mentioned that they appreciated the thoroughness of the eye examinations conducted by Dr. Tom Edmonds. They felt that their concerns were addressed and that Dr. Edmonds took the time to explain everything in a way they could understand.
- Caring and compassionate staff: Reviewers consistently mentioned the kindness and professionalism of the staff at Tidewater Eye Care. They felt well taken care of and appreciated the courteous and attentive service they received.
- Successful cataract surgery: Several reviewers specifically mentioned successful cataract surgery performed by Dr. Tom Edmonds. They experienced improved vision and were pleased with the results of the procedure.
1316 Greenbrier Pkwy, Chesapeake, VA 23320
Customers expressed high satisfaction with their eye exams, noting the professionalism and thoroughness of the doctors in answering questions. They also praised the friendly, efficient staff and minimal waiting times. Some disappointment was expressed regarding the lack of complimentary starter kits. Overall, the eye care center received positive reviews and recommendations.
- Friendly and professional staff: Multiple reviews mention the kind and friendly nature of the staff, making patients feel comfortable during their eye exams.
- Thorough and efficient exams: Many reviewers praise the doctors for their thoroughness and efficiency during the eye exams, ensuring that all questions and concerns are addressed.
- Patient-centered care: Several reviews highlight the doctors' willingness to take the time to explain each step of the exam and answer any questions, showing a commitment to providing a high level of patient care.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in Virginia
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In Virginia in 2018, a higher percentage of individuals aged 65 and older experienced blindness or difficulty seeing compared to those aged 40-64. in Virginia, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in Virginia
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in Virginia.
- The The percentage of people in Virginia that were blind or had difficulty seeing in 2018 was almost double for those with diabetes, indicating that having diabetes increases your risk of vision problems by approximately 4.46%. and In Virginia in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was higher among those who smoked tobacco (7.61%) compared to the overall population (4.36%), indicating that smoking increases the risk of vision problems by approximately 3.25%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in Virginia
- In Virginia, 4.36% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in Virginia
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 2.65% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 4.52% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in Virginia face even higher rates at 7.24%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in Virginia
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in Virginia.
- 8.82% of those with diabetes and 7.61% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in Virginia
- Early vision care is crucial, with 72.88% of children in Virginia having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 0.75% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in Virginia
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 4.36% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in Virginia.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.