Best Eye Doctors In Dayton, OH
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Dayton Optometrists in Dayton, Dayton, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Dayton reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Dayton.
Dayton Optometric Center
40 Southmoor Cir NE, Kettering, OH 45429, United States
This eye care center provides professional and friendly service with knowledgeable, attentive staff. They offer thorough eye exams and help choosing glasses. Though some mentioned longer waits, most customers had a positive experience and appreciated the doctors’ expertise and caring manner.
- Professional and friendly staff: Multiple reviewers mention that the staff at the eye care center is professional, friendly, and easy to approach. This creates a welcoming and comfortable atmosphere for patients.
- Thorough and high-quality eye exams: Many reviews emphasize that the eye exams at this location are thorough and of high quality. Several reviewers mention feeling confident in the care they received and being happy with their prescription.
- Accommodating and efficient: One reviewer mentions that the staff was accommodating and fit them in the schedule for an eye problem. Another reviewer notes that the process of picking up glasses was quick and efficient, with a minimal wait time.
Dayton Optometric Center
813 Troy St, Dayton, OH 45404, United States
The eye care center is highly recommended for its friendly, knowledgeable, and professional staff who provide personal care, efficient appointments, and thorough eye exams. Patients consistently praise the doctors’ expertise, though some critique the receptionist’s behavior.
- Top-notch staff and doctors who provide quick and efficient appointments.
- Thorough and professional eye exams with knowledgeable doctors who explain everything in a way that patients can understand.
- Personalized care, trustworthiness, and dedication to patients of all ages, including children.
4021 Far Hills Ave, Kettering, OH 45429, United States
Reviews show mixed experiences at the eye care center – some praise the friendly, professional, and thorough staff for retinal scans and comprehensive exams. However, others cite issues like poor communication on dilation, appointment cancellations, misinformation about warranties, and sales pitches. Dr. Simmons earned acclaim for his expertise and exam quality, while Dr. Wampler and the optician were appreciated for their helpfulness. A couple reviewers relayed negative experiences involving dismissive doctors and prescription or billing problems, but most found positive experiences overall.
- Professional and friendly staff: Multiple reviews mentioned that the staff at the eye care center were professional and friendly, creating a positive atmosphere for patients.
- Thorough eye examinations: Several reviews praised the eye examinations at the center, stating that they were thorough and performed using excellent equipment and procedures.
- Knowledgeable and informative doctors: Many reviews mentioned that the doctors at the center were knowledgeable, thorough, and took the time to explain the purpose and results of the eye exam, as well as answering any questions patients had.
VisionMakers – Kettering
3085 Woodman Dr #100, Dayton, OH 45420, United States
The eye care center receives positive feedback for their friendly and helpful staff. Patients feel comfortable during exams with receptionists, optometrists and opticians. Reviewers compliment the expertise of doctors, particularly Dr. Fenton.
- Friendly and courteous staff: Multiple reviewers mentioned that the staff at this eye care center are friendly and polite, providing excellent customer service and going above and beyond to help patients with their needs.
- Comfortable and pleasant experience: Many reviewers described their eye exams as comfortable and laid back, with a relaxed atmosphere. They felt at ease during the entire process, including the dilation test, which often causes anxiety for some people.
- Skilled and knowledgeable optometrists: Several reviewers specifically praised Dr. Fenton, one of the optometrists at this location, for his expertise and professionalism. They felt confident in his abilities to find the correct prescriptions for themselves and their family members.
Downtown Dayton Optical
112 E 3rd St, Dayton, OH 45402, United States
Downtown Dayton Optical is lauded for affordable pricing, exceptional customer service, and knowledgeable staff. Patients recommend the eye doctors and selection of frames. Staff attentively serve customers, ensuring a positive experience.
- Affordable pricing: Many reviewers mention that the eye care center offers great prices, making it suitable for purchasing regular or even multiple pairs of glasses. There are also mentions of getting discounts and deals on frames and lenses.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Multiple reviewers compliment the customer service provided by the staff. They mention that the staff is personable, professional, patient, and willing to go above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction. Some reviewers specifically mention Kevin and Ryan as being knowledgeable and accommodating.
- Quick turnaround time: Several reviewers appreciate the quick turnaround time for their glasses. They mention that the opticians were able to repair glasses or make new pairs in a short amount of time, including within 15 minutes in one case.
Oakwood Eye Clinic
2525 Far Hills Ave, Dayton, OH 45419, United States
The eye care center received mostly positive reviews for their thorough and kind doctors, helpful staff, personal attention during eyeglass selection, and informative experiences. A few negative reviews cited issues like an unhelpful staff member, the doctor removing contacts without warning, and billing problems.
- Based on the reviews, the pros for the eye care center are:
- Thorough and knowledgeable doctors: Many reviewers mentioned that the doctors at the clinic were thorough, took their time to explain everything, and had a high level of expertise.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Multiple reviewers praised the staff for being friendly, helpful, and going above and beyond to provide excellent customer service.
Bright Eyes Optical
5135 N Dixie Dr, Dayton, OH 45414
Bright Eyes Optical receives mostly positive feedback for their friendly staff, clean facilities, and fair pricing. Long-time customers especially appreciate the professional, personalized care from the optometrist and staff. However, some reviews cite issues with incorrect orders, unhelpful staff, and scheduling conflicts.
- Clean and friendly environment with helpful front desk staff who assist with selecting glasses.
- Understanding and attentive optometrist who listens to vision problems during fast exams.
- Excellent service, professionalism, and great customer care from the staff, with a wide selection of eyewear to choose from.
Patrick L Spencer DO
425 W Grand Ave, Dayton, OH 45405, United States
Customers appreciate the thorough and efficient eye exams by Dr. Spencer and Dr. Harris, with one feeling comfortable under their care. The billing department and staff receive positive feedback for being courteous and professional. While some customers report issues with the optician and scheduling, many value the expertise and care from the doctors.
- Efficient and thorough eye exams with a warm and friendly atmosphere.
- Excellent ophthalmologist with expertise in various eye treatments, surgeries, and clinical research.
- Dr. Spencer shows care and concern for patients, values their time, and provides comprehensive exams.
1222 S Patterson Blvd # 212, Dayton, OH 45402, United States
Dr. Martin receives positive feedback for his friendly, personable approach and professionalism. Patients comment on his thorough eye exams and ability to address any vision issues. However, some express dissatisfaction with unhelpful and dismissive front desk staff.
- Dr. Martin is personable, friendly, and makes patients feel comfortable during eye exams.
- The scheduling and wait time at this eye care center is efficient, minimizing the time spent waiting in the office.
- Patients have had success with their glasses prescriptions and have experienced positive results with lenses ordered from Dr. Martin.
Dr. Ronald E. Warwar, MD
3100 Governor's Pl Blvd STE 100, Dayton, OH 45409, United States
Dr. Ronald E. Warwar offers knowledgeable, thorough, and compassionate eye care, though one patient hoped for more time during appointments. Patients appreciate the personable and caring physicians, short wait times, and professional staff at this eye center.
- The physicians at this eye care center are personable and show that they care about their patients.
- The wait times are short and the staff is professional and efficient.
- Dr. Ronald E. Warwar is highly knowledgeable, thorough, and explains things well to his patients. The office is also clean and relaxing.
1020 Woodman Dr #200, Dayton, OH 45432
Mehan Eye is recommended for Dr. Mehan’s thorough exams, expertise, and caring manner. Patients appreciate the attentive, knowledgeable staff and excellent service. However, one reviewer encountered billing issues and difficulty resolving them.
- Highly professional and skilled doctors who provide thorough and attentive care.
- Knowledgeable and patient staff who take the time to listen to patients' concerns and answer their questions.
Dr. Stephen Schumann MD, Dr. Donna Talluto MD, and Associates
1222 S Patterson Blvd # 300, Dayton, OH 45402, United States
Dr. Stephen Schumann’s patients laud his expertise diagnosing complex eye conditions and treating glaucoma. They appreciate his dedication to their wellbeing, reflected in his willingness to schedule weekend and after-hours appointments. Reviewers recommend Dr. Schumann for his extensive knowledge, thorough examinations, and compassionate care.
- Dr. Schumann provides outstanding care, going above and beyond for his patients, even offering appointments on weekends, via phone, and during unexpected building closures.
- Dr. Schumann and his team are relentless in their pursuit of patient recovery, providing thorough diagnosis and effective treatment for difficult eye conditions.
- Dr. Schumann is highly knowledgeable, thorough, and caring, making him an excellent choice for eye care, especially for those with glaucoma.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in Ohio
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In Ohio, a higher percentage of individuals aged 65 and older experienced blindness or difficulty seeing compared to those aged 40-64. in Ohio, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in Ohio
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in Ohio.
- The The percentage of people in Ohio that were blind or had difficulty seeing in 2018 was almost double for those with diabetes, indicating that having diabetes increases your risk of vision problems by approximately 5%. and In Ohio in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was higher among those who smoked tobacco (7.32%) compared to the overall population (4.92%), indicating that smoking increases the risk of vision problems by approximately 2.4%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in Ohio
- In Ohio, 4.92% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in Ohio
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 3.72% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 4.93% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in Ohio face even higher rates at 6.85%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in Ohio
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in Ohio.
- 9.72% of those with diabetes and 7.32% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in Ohio
- Early vision care is crucial, with 69.71% of children in Ohio having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 0.78% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in Ohio
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 4.92% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in Ohio.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.