Our Picks for the Best LASIK Surgeon in Durham, NC
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed 40 LASIK Surgeons in Durham, NC, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze 2257 reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best LASIK surgeon in Durham.
Academy Eye Associates - Durham
3115 Academy Rd, Durham, NC 27707
Academy Eye Associates - Durham provides exceptional service with a thorough exam and clear explanations. The staff is friendly and helpful, and there is no pressure to purchase new glasses. Dr Powell closely monitors forming cataracts and recommends surgery when appropriate.
- People feel welcome from the moment you walk in.
- The office is clean and organized.
- Dr. Powell is very personable and friendly, always engaged and conversational.
- She does an amazing job discussing yearly with me any changes, things that have stayed the same, or recommendations moving forward.
- The office is reasonably priced.
- Always a pleasure going for my eye appointments here.
- Staff is great and Dr Powell has kept my eyes in good shape even though they ( my eyes) are getting old!! They are never pushy about buying new glasses there. I’m confident Dr P is keeping my forming cataracts under close observation and will recommend surgery when they are ripe!!
Triangle Eye Consultants
9650 Brier Creek Pkwy Suite 103, Raleigh, NC 27617
Triangle Eye Consultants is a highly professional and compassionate practice that provides quick and helpful service. Patients have reported excellent experiences with their cataract surgery and praise the competence of the doctors. Trustworthy and reliable, Triangle Eye Consultants is a top choice for those seeking exceptional eye care.
- People feel very welcome and comfortable when visiting this clinic.
- The staff is very professional and friendly, which makes the experience much more pleasant.
- They are able to provide excellent service for both regular eye checkups and more complex issues.
- The results of any treatments they may provide are always successful.
Lloyd Williams, MD, PhD
120 E Carver St, Durham, NC 27704
Dr. Lloyd Williams, MD, PhD is a highly skilled and knowledgeable corneal specialist with an admirable bedside manner. His success rate for cornea transplants is impressive, making him a top choice for anyone seeking a skilled lasik surgeon. Visit his office for exceptional care and results.
- People feel very positive about the care they received from Dr. Williams.
- He is an excellent doctor with a lot of knowledge and skill in his field.
- His bedside manner is very good, which makes him a great choice for any corneal issues you may have.
Melissa B. Daluvoy, MD
2351 Erwin Rd, Durham, NC 27705
Dr. Daluvoy is a caring and compassionate lasik surgeon who comes highly recommended for cornea transplants. Patients have praised her expertise and bedside manner. The practice is known for its exceptional care and attention to detail.
- People feel very confident in the care they receive from Dr. Daluvoy. She is highly skilled and takes great pride in her work.
- Her bedside manner is excellent, she makes you feel very comfortable and at ease during your surgery.
- She has a wealth of experience which she puts to good use during your procedure.
- The results of her surgeries are always impressive, with patients often reporting improved vision after undergoing treatment with her.
Jason Liss, MD
1st Floor, Aesthetic and Dermatology Surgery Clinic (DCL), 3475 Erwin Rd, Durham, NC 27705
Dr. Liss and his team are attentive to patients' concerns and provide thorough explanations. Collaborating with other eye specialists, they ensure the best possible outcomes for their patients. The practice is dedicated to providing exceptional care and expertise in LASIK surgery.
- People feel very comfortable with Dr. Liss and feel like he truly cares about their well-being.
- He is very knowledgeable and takes the time to explain everything to patients in detail.
- He has a great bedside manner and makes you feel at ease during your appointments.
Dr. Tamer H. Mahmoud MD
2351 Erwin Rd, Durham, NC 27705
Dr. Tamer H. Mahmoud MD's office is highly regarded for providing quality care for children. The staff is friendly and accommodating, making patients feel at ease. Patients can trust in the expertise of the doctors at this practice.
- People feel very welcome and comfortable when visiting this doctor's office.
- The staff is very friendly and accommodating.
- Dr. Mahmoud provides excellent care for his patients.
Dr. Joan T. Roberts, MD
4102 N Roxboro St, Durham, NC 27704
Dr. Joan T. Roberts, MD is a knowledgeable and experienced lasik surgeon who takes the time to listen to her patients. Her approachable demeanor makes it easy for patients to communicate with her. Patients can trust that they are in good hands at this practice.
- People feel confident in her care.
- She is very knowledgeable and has a lot of experience.
- She takes the time to listen to patients and answer their questions.
- She is always willing to help out with any concerns or problems that may arise.
Dr. Anupama B. Horne, MD
6104 Fayetteville Rd, Durham, NC 27713
Dr. Anupama B. Horne, MD is a knowledgeable and skilled ophthalmologist who provides a comfortable experience for her patients. Her expertise in LASIK surgery is highly appreciated by those who have received treatment from her. Patients can trust her to provide exceptional care for their vision needs.
- People feel very comfortable with Dr. Horne and she is very knowledgeable.
- Dr. Horne is great at making people feel comfortable and answering any questions they may have.
The LASIK Vision Institute
2525 Meridian Pkwy Suite 125, Durham, NC 27713
The LASIK Vision Institute boasts a clean and professional office space with friendly and personable staff. Patients report successful surgeries with no complications and great deals on their procedures. Trust in the expertise of the doctors at The LASIK Vision Institute for a positive experience.
- People feel very positive and enthusiastic about their work here.
- The office is clean and organized.
- Staff is very friendly and professional.
- Procedure was easy and no complications were reported post-op.
Rosenstein Vision Center
2901 N Duke St, Durham, NC 27704
Rosenstein Vision Center exudes warmth and hospitality, offering a vast array of eyeglasses and contacts. Patients receive exceptional care from Dr. Rosenstein and his team, with Johanne's customer service skills being a standout. Dr. Rosenstein's expertise in the field of LASIK surgery is unparalleled, making this practice a top choice for those seeking vision correction.
- People feel welcome and comfortable at Rosenstein Vision Center.
- The staff is knowledgeable and helpful.
- There is a great selection of eyeglasses and contacts.
- Dr. Aaron Rosenstein has a great bedside manner.
- The center provides services to people with financial difficulties.
Tonica Johnson, MD
3811 N Roxboro St, Durham, NC 27704
Dr. Tonica Johnson's expertise and thoroughness have earned her a reputation as a trusted lasik surgeon. Patients appreciate her approachable demeanor and commitment to ensuring a positive experience. Rest assured that your surgery will be in capable hands with Dr. Johnson and her team.
- People feel comfortable with her because she is down to earth.
- She is very knowledgeable and thorough.
- She takes no chances and makes sure patients are seen by specialists as soon as possible.
- Her team is friendly and welcoming as well as knowledgeable and helpful.
Julie Ann Woodward, MD
234 Crooked Creek Pkwy #100, Durham, NC 27713
Dr. Julie Ann Woodward is an exceptional lasik surgeon who provides a comfortable and reassuring experience for her patients. Her communication skills are top-notch and she is able to resolve eye blockages without the need for surgery. Patients appreciate her expertise and the care they receive at the practice.
- People feel comfortable with her.
- She is able to resolve issues without surgery.
- Excellent communication and interaction with patients.
Karl G. Stonecipher, MD
2226 Nelson Hwy Suite 200, Chapel Hill, NC 27517
Dr. Karl G. Stonecipher's ophthalmology practice is highly recommended by patients. His expertise and patience make patients feel comfortable during their surgeries. The staff is also praised for their exceptional service.
- People feel welcomed and comfortable when they walk into the office
- The doctor is highly skilled and experienced in cataract surgery
- The staff is caring and helpful
2812 Erwin Rd, Durham, NC 27705
Optix Eyecare provides exceptional service and a pleasant experience. Dr. Newman is highly knowledgeable and meticulous in his work, ensuring the best possible care for his patients. The office is a top choice for those seeking a skilled and attentive lasik surgeon.
- People feel very welcome and comfortable when visiting this business.
- The staff is very friendly and accommodating, always taking the time to listen to what you need and answer any questions you may have.
- They offer a wide variety of frames to choose from, making it easy for anyone to find what they are looking for.
- Dr. Newman takes great care in his examinations, always going above and beyond to ensure that his patients are fully informed about their eye health.
14 Consultant Pl, Durham, NC 27707
Eyecarecenter is a professional and patient-focused practice that offers affordable services. Their thorough examinations and commitment to good eye health outcomes make them a top choice for those seeking a lasik surgeon. Trust in their expertise and experience for a successful procedure.
- People feel comfortable here.
- The staff is very friendly and helpful.
- They offer a variety of services, including eye exams and glasses.
- The doctors are very professional and patient-focused.
Is LASIK Safe?
LASIK eye surgery is safe. Thanks to the advancement in technology, serious complications are rare. The general complication rates of LASIK are between 1 and 1.8%.
What Makes a Good LASIK Candidate?
A person is a good candidate for LASIK if:
- They do not have any active eye infections, inflammations, or abrasions
- They do not have dry eyes
- They do not have any kind of eye disease that affects the cornea
- They have a prescription of -11.00 diopters of nearsightedness, +5.00 diopters of farsightedness, or 5.00 diopters of astigmatism
- Their corneal tissue is thick enough
- They are at least 18 years old
- Their vision has been stable for 1 to 2 years
- They have realistic expectations going into the surgery
Other Types of Eye Surgery
LASIK is not the only type of eye surgery you can get. Other types include:
PRK stands for photorefractive keratectomy. It’s another type of laser eye surgery that can correct:
- Myopia (nearsightedness)
- Hyperopia (farsightedness)
- Astigmatism (irregularly shaped cornea)
- Presbyopia (age-related farsightedness)
The procedure involves removing the outer surface of the cornea. A surgeon uses an ultraviolet (excimer) laser to reshape the cornea.
Surgeons recommend PRK if a person isn’t a good candidate for LASIK. Its recovery time is slightly longer than LASIK, although they both achieve the same goal.
Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE)
RLE is another type of eye surgery that corrects the same problems LASIK can. It involves removing a person’s natural lens, which is then replaced by an intraocular lens (IOL).
Candidates for RLE include:
- Those over the age of 40
- Those with refractive errors
- Those who are not candidates for LASIK
- Those who don’t want to use reading glasses or contact lenses
- Those who have early cataracts
The only way to remove cataracts is through surgery. There are two types of cataract surgery:
- Phacoemulsification procedure
- Laser cataract procedure
Phacoemulsification involves liquifying the cataract lens using ultrasound waves. The surgeon suctions the natural lens and replaces it with an artificial intraocular lens (IOL).
Laser cataract surgery involves using lasers to make precise incisions in the cornea. The surgeon then suctions out the natural lens in fragments.
Collagen Cross-Linking (CXL) for Keratoconus
Collagen cross-linking is a new surgical technique to treat keratoconus. It involves using special eye drops and ultraviolet light to strengthen the cornea’s collagen fibers.
The goal of this procedure is to prevent the progression of keratoconus. When the collagen fibers grow stronger, they stabilize the corneal tissue. It can also reduce or eliminate the need for a transplant.
Lifestyle lenses are also referred to as premium lenses. They are often used during cataract surgery when the natural lens is removed and replaced with artificial ones, the lifestyle lenses.
These lenses can also correct other eye problems, including:
Intacs® Corneal Implants for Keratoconus
Intacs® are also called intracorneal ring segments (ICRS). They’re thin, crescent-shaped rings made with biocompatible plastic material. It’s the same material used for IOLs.
Intacs® are inserted into the cornea to restore its normal shape. It can treat refractive errors and keratoconus.
Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS)
Minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS) treats glaucoma using small incisions and microscopic equipment. This kind of technology reduces risks during surgery.
In this article