Best Eye Doctors In Winston Salem, NC
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Winston Salem Optometrists in Winston Salem, Winston Salem, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Winston Salem reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Winston Salem.
Fox Eye Care Group
3320 Silas Creek Pkwy #300, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
This eye care center received mostly positive feedback for its friendly, professional, and thorough staff. Patients appreciated the doctors taking time to explain exams and answer questions. However, some customers noted long wait times, and one staff member was described as rude and dismissive. Overall, customers recommend this center for its excellent service and efficient eye exams.
- Efficient and quick eye exams: Many reviewers mention that their eye exams at this location were thorough yet quick, with minimal waiting time.
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff: Multiple reviews highlight the friendly and professional demeanor of the staff, including the doctors and front desk team. They are described as being helpful, kind, and eager to assist.
- Thorough explanations and use of latest equipment: It is mentioned in a few reviews that the doctors explain the eye exam procedures and results in plain language. Additionally, the use of innovative and up-to-date equipment is appreciated by patients.
800 S Stratford Rd, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
The eye care center receives largely positive reviews for friendly, professional staff and thorough eye exams with helpful explanations. Some patients experienced long wait times, appointment scheduling issues, and rushed exams.
- Friendly and professional staff: Many reviewers mentioned that the staff at the eye care center was friendly, informative, and treated them with respect. This creates a positive and welcoming atmosphere for patients.
- Thorough and knowledgeable doctors: Several reviewers praised the doctors at the eye care center for being thorough, efficient, and communicating well during the eye exams. This shows that they prioritize providing quality care and ensuring patients understand their eye health.
- No pressure to purchase glasses: One reviewer mentioned that the staff did not pressure them into buying new glasses, even though they had come for an eye examination. This demonstrates that the eye care center focuses on the needs and preferences of the patients rather than pushing unnecessary purchases.
Cardinal Eye Care OD
3316 Silas Creek Pkwy, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Dr. Butterworth and the attentive staff at Cardinal Eye Care come highly recommended for comprehensive eye exams. Patients report an appreciated combination of friendliness, thorough explanation of procedures and test results, and timely resolution of any concerns.
- Dr. Butterworth takes his time with eye exams and is excellent at what he does.
- The staff is patient and accommodating, especially with elderly patients.
- The staff and Dr. Butterworth are kind, professional, and helpful, taking the time to explain eye care benefits and test results.
- Dr. Butterworth is personable and informative, helping patients understand vision changes and making the experience enjoyable.
- The front desk staff is consistently nice and helpful, making scheduling appointments easy.
- Dr. Doub is highly recommended by patients, known for being the best in his field.
- The staff at Cardinal Eye Care is friendly and helpful, making patients feel comfortable and welcomed.
- The office staff, including Ronna and Brittany, are sweet, genuine, and provide excellent service.
- Dr. Butterworth provides thorough eye exams and answers all questions in detail.
- The front office staff/nurses are knowledgeable, kind, patient, and efficient, making the eye exam experience stress-free.
- The staff and Dr. Butterworth are amazing, providing top-notch service and going above and beyond to accommodate patients during emergencies.
Eyes On Trade
604 Trade St NW, Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Eyes on Trade is highly recommended for its professional and friendly staff, thorough eye exams, wide selection of affordable, quality frames, and personalized care that makes customers feel welcomed and comfortable.
- Professional and friendly staff: Multiple reviews mention how professional, efficient, and friendly the staff at Eyes on Trade are. They make patients feel welcomed, comfortable, and at ease during their eye exams.
- Thorough and personalized eye exams: Many reviewers mention that they received thorough eye exams with genuine care and concern for their eye health and vision. The doctors take the time to explain each step and address any questions or concerns. The exams are described as personalized and tailored to individual needs.
- Great selection of frames and affordable prices: Several reviews highlight the amazing selection of frames available at Eyes on Trade. The staff is knowledgeable in helping patients choose the best fit and style. Additionally, the frames and lenses are described as affordable, making it a great place to get new glasses.
2630 Peters Creek Pkwy, Winston-Salem, NC 27127
The eye care center in Winston-Salem is widely recommended for its efficient service, excellent customer service, welcoming atmosphere, knowledgeable and thorough eye exams, and friendly and caring staff. A few negative reviews mentioned appointment cancellations and ordering errors.
- Efficient and excellent customer service
- Thorough and detailed eye exams
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff
Summit Eye Care P.A
3073 Trenwest Dr, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
This eye care center received mixed reviews. While some patients had issues with incorrect prescriptions, unnecessary charges, scheduling, and billing, others praised the friendly staff and quality care from certain doctors.
- Excellent doctors and state-of-the-art facility
- Friendly and child-friendly staff
- Thorough examination and comfortable experience
Kaluzne Vision Care
1401 Westgate Center Dr, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
The eye care center is highly regarded for its modern equipment, short wait times, pleasant office environment, and extensive eyewear selection. Patients comment on the friendly, knowledgeable staff and thorough exams by Dr. Kaluzne. While a few customers noted minor issues, most describe a professional and comprehensive experience.
- Short wait times: Multiple reviewers mentioned that they had minimal wait times before being seen by the eye care professionals, which indicates efficient service.
- Modern equipment and technology: Many reviewers praised the eye care center for utilizing the latest equipment and technology, such as no-dilation eye exams, which contribute to a more comfortable and modern experience.
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff: Reviewers consistently mentioned the friendly and helpful nature of the staff, including both the front-end and back-end staff. There were also positive remarks about the staff's ability to explain procedures and address concerns.
500 W 4th St, Winston-Salem, NC 27101
The eye care center receives mostly positive feedback for friendly staff, knowledgeable doctors, and quality routine eye exams. A few disappointed customers cited issues with customer service, wait times, and prescription accuracy, though overall patients report good experiences with the dedicated professionals.
- Great doctor and nurses
- Helpful and professional staff
- Knowledgeable optometrists
- Good selection of eyewear
- Easy to book appointments online
- Efficient and well-organized practice
C Distinctive Eyewear
302 S Stratford Rd B, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
C Distinctive Eyewear receives outstanding reviews for their optical services. Customers describe the staff as helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. They offer a fantastic selection of eyewear and conduct precise, thorough eye exams. Specific staff members are commended for their exceptional service and skill in assisting customers in finding the ideal frames. C Distinctive Eyewear provides a positive, comfortable experience for all, including those with special needs.
- State-of-the-art equipment: The eye care center has state-of-the-art equipment for eye exams, ensuring thorough and precise examinations.
- Friendly and helpful staff: The whole team is praised for being helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. They take the time to provide personalized service and help customers find the perfect frames.
- Extensive collection of frames: Customers appreciate the center's wide selection of high-quality frames, including unique and fashionable designs. The center can accommodate different tastes and budgets.
Triangle Visions Optometry
3111 Maplewood Ave #103, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Dr. Elliott receives overwhelmingly positive reviews for his friendly, attentive service and ability to clearly explain eye care. A few patients expressed concerns about changes after the practice’s acquisition by a corporation and issues around service fees. However, most still recommend Dr. Elliott for his excellent eye care.
- Dr. Elliott and his staff are friendly, easy to talk to, and great with both adults and kids, making the overall experience pleasant for patients of any age.
- The eye care center has up-to-date equipment, including a machine that allows them to take pictures of the eyes without dilation, providing convenient and efficient service to patients.
- Patients appreciate Dr. Elliott's thoroughness, professionalism, and ability to explain things in a way that is easy to understand, along with his caring and friendly demeanor.
A Proper View
120B Reynolda Village, Winston-Salem, NC 27106
A Proper View receives consistent positive feedback for its welcoming, attentive service and Dr. Bradbury’s thorough exams. Patients cite the staff’s professionalism and patience as well as the doctor’s personalized care. The office also offers a wide selection of fashionable frames. Patients are highly satisfied with the exceptional eye care they receive.
- Friendly and professional staff: Multiple reviewers mentioned that the staff at this eye care center were welcoming, polite, and knowledgeable. They provided excellent customer service and took the time to answer questions and address concerns.
- Thorough and attentive eye exams: The eye doctors at this establishment were praised for their thoroughness and attentiveness during the eye exams. Reviewers appreciated that the doctors took the time to explain everything clearly, suggest better lens options, and make personalized recommendations based on individual needs and lifestyles.
- Wide selection of frames: Many reviewers noted that this eye care center had a great selection of glasses frames to choose from. They found the frames to be fun, unique, and stylish. The staff also assisted in selecting frames and provided expertise in finding the perfect fit.
Forsyth Eye Health and Surgery, PC
2827 Lyndhurst Ave #204, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Despite one negative review about unexpected charges, multiple reviewers highly recommend Dr. Ringeman’s eye care center for her professional, knowledgeable, and caring service. Many specifically praise her successful cataract surgeries and resulting vision improvement. Her friendly, helpful staff and clean office environment also earn positive remarks.
- Highly knowledgeable and professional staff: Many reviewers mention the exceptional level of knowledge, professionalism, and care displayed by Dr. Ringeman and her staff. They answer questions patiently, explain procedures thoroughly, and provide personalized care, putting patients at ease.
- Successful cataract surgery: Multiple reviews express satisfaction with the results of their cataract surgeries performed by Dr. Ringeman. Patients report improved vision, with some achieving 20/20 vision. They appreciate the expertise and care provided throughout the surgical process.
- Excellent customer service and compassionate care: Reviewers praise the friendly and caring nature of the staff at Forsyth Eye Health and Surgery. They feel valued as patients and appreciate the staff's willingness to address concerns and provide holistic eye care, focusing not just on vision but also overall eye health.
235 Harvey St, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
The eye care center receives mostly positive reviews for knowledgeable, patient doctors and helpful staff. Customers especially appreciate Cindy, Sherry, and Aubrey. However, some reviews cite long waits, poor service, and contact lens ordering issues.
- Knowledgeable and patient doctors: Multiple reviewers mentioned that the doctors, particularly Dr. Vu and Dr. Davis, were very informative, patient, and took good care of them during their eye exams.
- Helpful and friendly staff: Several reviewers praised the staff, specifically mentioning names like Sherry, Cindy, Aubrey, and Lynnsay, for being very helpful, friendly, and providing excellent customer service. They assisted in choosing frames, explaining insurance information, and ensuring a positive overall experience.
- Efficient and quick service: A couple of reviewers mentioned that they had a fast and efficient experience, with one mentioning being in and out within an hour. Others appreciated not having to wait long for their appointment or being able to pick up their glasses on a Saturday.
2596 Reynolda Rd # A, Winston-Salem, NC 27106
The eye care center is lauded for their kid-friendly exam process and making children comfortable, though inconsistent cost communication has disappointed some customers. The majority applaud the professionalism, thoroughness, and quality care of the doctors and staff.
- Great with kids: Dr. McAllister and the staff are highly recommended by a parent for their ability to make children feel comfortable during their first eye exam.
- Thorough and efficient: Dr. Cash and Dr. McAllister are praised for their in-depth examinations and ability to explain findings clearly. They provide suggestions to keep eyes healthy and prescribe the newest technology contact lenses when needed.
- Exceptional service and knowledgeable staff: The eye care center is commended for its exceptional service, professional staff, and state-of-the-art equipment. The staff is described as friendly, personable, and highly knowledgeable.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in North Carolina
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, a higher percentage of people aged 65 and older in North Carolina experienced blindness or difficulty seeing compared to those aged 40-64. in North Carolina, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in North Carolina
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in North Carolina.
- The The percentage of people in North Carolina with diabetes who were blind or had difficulty seeing in 2018 was more than twice as high as the overall percentage, indicating that having diabetes significantly increases the risk of vision problems in that state. and In North Carolina in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was higher among those who smoked tobacco (8.03%) compared to the overall population (5.39%), indicating that smoking increases the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 2.64%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in North Carolina
- In North Carolina, 5.39% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in North Carolina
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 3.6% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 5.59% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in North Carolina face even higher rates at 8.02%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in North Carolina
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in North Carolina.
- 11.6% of those with diabetes and 8.03% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in North Carolina
- Early vision care is crucial, with 73.9% of children in North Carolina having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 1.66% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in North Carolina
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 5.39% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in North Carolina.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.