Best Eye Doctors In Indianapolis, IN
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Indianapolis Optometrists in Indianapolis, Indianapolis, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Indianapolis reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Indianapolis.
Dr. Tavel Corporate Office
2835 Lafayette Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46222
Customers overwhelmingly appreciated the attentive doctors, helpful staff, clean facilities, and organized care at this highly rated eye center. While some waited longer than expected for glasses, most reviewers were very satisfied with the thorough exams and friendly service, and would gladly recommend this center to others seeking quality eye care.
- Excellent service for children with special needs: The staff at this eye care center showed exceptional care and patience with a 9-year-old child with autism during his eye exam. The experience was described as the best ever.
- Welcoming and organized facility: Many reviewers praised the cleanliness and organization of the facility. They felt valued as customers and were impressed by the friendly and helpful staff. This eye care center is recommended for anyone in need of glasses or an eye exam.
- Thorough eye exams: Customers appreciated the attention to detail and thoroughness of the eye exams conducted by the doctors. They were impressed by the explanation of each step and the ability to address any concerns or questions.
Dr. Tavel Family Eye Care
3636 S East St, Indianapolis, IN 46227
This eye care center receives overwhelmingly positive feedback for their friendly, professional staff and thorough eye exams. Customers mention exceptional service, with staff going above and beyond to meet their vision needs. A few customers did note issues with prescription accuracy and customer service.
- Friendly and accommodating staff: Multiple reviews mention that the staff at this eye care center were kind, friendly, and patient. They were willing to handle children during eye exams, provided little gifts for good behavior, and were helpful in explaining procedures and answering questions.
- Thorough and professional eye exams: Customers appreciated the thoroughness of the eye exams and the level of detail provided by the doctors. The exams were conducted in a timely manner without feeling rushed, and the doctors took the time to explain results in understandable terms. Some reviews also mention that advanced techniques, such as color imaging to examine the eyes, were utilized.
- Convenient and flexible scheduling: The eye care center was praised for its prompt service and flexibility in accommodating patients' needs. Several reviews mentioned being able to get same-day appointments, even for medical issues, and the staff's willingness to work around the patient's schedule.
Dr. Tavel Family Eye Care
2940 E 38th St Suite B, Indianapolis, IN 46218
Customers describe the staff at the E. 38th St. eye care center in Indianapolis as friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient. Multiple reviews highlight attentive doctors and excellent customer service. One customer initially had issues with ill-fitting glasses, but updated their review after the issue was promptly resolved under new management.
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff: Many reviewers mentioned the friendly and knowledgeable staff at this eye care center, highlighting their efficient service and helpfulness in guiding them through their eye exams and frame selections.
- Quick appointments and turnaround time: Several reviewers mentioned that they were able to get quick appointments and receive their glasses within a reasonable time frame, highlighting the efficient and prompt service provided by the staff.
- Excellent customer service: Reviewers consistently praised the exceptional customer service provided by the staff at this eye care center, mentioning their patience, kindness, and willingness to answer questions and address concerns.
640 E Michigan St B, Indianapolis, IN 46202
Dr. Jahnke and the skilled staff at inVista Optical provide high-quality, personalized eye care. Patients appreciate the thorough and transparent exams using advanced equipment. The office’s convenient location, extensive frame selection, and excellent customer service make inVista Optical a premier eye care provider.
- Thorough and Transparent Eye Exams: Multiple reviewers mentioned that the eye exams provided at this center were thorough and comprehensive. They appreciated that all their questions were answered and that the pricing was transparent.
- Professional and Personalized Care: Reviewers praised the professional and courteous service they received from the staff and the optometrist. They felt that their needs were met and that they received personalized attention throughout their visit.
- Convenient Location and Walk-In Accessibility: Several reviewers mentioned that the location of the center was convenient and easily accessible. They appreciated that the center was within walking distance. Additionally, the center was open on Saturdays, which was a convenient option for out-of-town visitors.
Macha Eye Care at Fountain Square
1429 Shelby St, Indianapolis, IN 46203
Many reviewers appreciated Macha Eye Care’s friendly and helpful staff, advanced technology, and cost transparency. However, some had poor experiences with specific optometrists, including incorrect contact lens guidance and improper exams.
- Friendly and attentive staff: Multiple reviews mention the staff at Macha Eye Care being kind, patient, and informative. Patients feel like they are treated as individuals and not just a number.
- Transparent about costs and insurance coverage: The clinic is commended for being transparent about costs and what will be covered under insurance, ensuring that patients feel informed and aware of their financial options.
- LGBTQ+ and trans friendly: One review specifically mentions that the clinic is LGBTQ+ and trans friendly, creating a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere for all patients.
Meridian Vision Center
2291 N Meridian St, Indianapolis, IN 46208
Meridian Vision Center’s staff is known for their friendliness and helpful assistance. Patients receive comprehensive eye exams efficiently. The practice helps patients select suitable eyewear for their needs. Their office offers a comfortable, welcoming environment.
- The staff at Meridian Vision Center is patient, helpful, and kind, making the experience of picking out glasses and receiving an eye exam enjoyable.
- The eye care center offers efficient and quick appointments, ensuring that patients are not kept waiting unnecessarily.
- The optometrist and staff at Meridian Vision Center go above and beyond to provide a positive and welcoming environment, making patients feel comfortable and attended to.
Eye Specialists Of Indiana
3530 S Keystone Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46227
Customers appreciated the thorough examinations and helpful advice at the eye care center. One was pleased with the options presented for cataract treatment while another, though satisfied overall with their cataract surgery and follow-up care, hoped to address some lingering blurriness during their next appointment.
- Highly recommended by an eye doctor for cataract treatment: One reviewer expressed that their eye doctor specifically recommended this eye care center for cataract treatment, indicating that the center has a strong reputation and expertise in this area.
- Thorough eye exams and clear communication: Another reviewer appreciated the fact that they received a thorough eye exam and were provided with clear explanations of their options. This suggests that the center is dedicated to providing comprehensive care and effective communication with their patients.
- Successful cataract surgery and attentive follow-up: Although not explicitly mentioned as a pro, the mention of successful cataract surgery and follow-up in one of the reviews demonstrates that the center has the ability to provide successful procedures and is committed to ensuring patient satisfaction through attentive follow-up care.
IU School Of Optometry
1160 W Michigan St, Indianapolis, IN 46202
This longstanding eye care center provides exceptional service, with helpful and professional staff. Patient comfort is a priority, even during repairs. Dr. Shlater offers outstanding care.
- Helpful and professional staff: Reviewers appreciated the helpful and professional nature of the staff at this eye care center, making for a positive experience during their appointments and eye glasses repairs.
- Dr. Shlater is highly praised: One reviewer specifically mentioned that Dr. Shlater is “awesome.” This positive feedback suggests that the eye care center has a skilled and personable optometrist, which could be a significant advantage for those seeking eye exams and care.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in Indiana
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, 6.42% of people aged 40-64 and 8.25% of people aged 65+ in Indiana were blind or had difficulty seeing. in Indiana, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in Indiana
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in Indiana.
- The In Indiana in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was significantly higher among those with diabetes (12.3%) compared to the overall population (5.27%), indicating that having diabetes increases the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 7 percentage points. and In Indiana in 2018, the percentage of people who smoked tobacco and had difficulty seeing was slightly higher than the overall percentage of people who had difficulty seeing, indicating that smoking may slightly increase the risk of vision problems in that state. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in Indiana
- In Indiana, 5.27% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in Indiana
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 2.37% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 6.42% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in Indiana face even higher rates at 8.25%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in Indiana
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in Indiana.
- 12.3% of those with diabetes and 6.59% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in Indiana
- Early vision care is crucial, with 67.44% of children in Indiana having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 1.85% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in Indiana
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 5.27% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in Indiana.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.