Best Eye Doctors In Honolulu, HI
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Honolulu Optometrists in Honolulu, Honolulu, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Honolulu reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Honolulu.
650 Iwilei Rd #210, Honolulu, HI 96817
Eyesight Hawaii receives overwhelmingly positive reviews, with customers commending the exceptional customer service, professionalism, and expertise of the staff and doctors. Patients report efficient, straightforward eye exams and surgeries that improve vision. Eyesight Hawaii comes highly recommended for all eye care needs.
- Quick, easy, and stress-free eye exams for contacts.
- Highly recommended for LASIK surgery, with a well-handled consultation, surgery, and follow-up.
- Outstanding staff and customer service with a strong focus on personalized care and top-notch medical expertise.
Aloha Laser Vision
1100 Ward Ave #1000, Honolulu, HI 96814
Aloha Laser Vision earns high marks for friendly, professional staff conducting thorough exams. Doctors honestly recommend optimal treatments. Many report excellent outcomes from laser surgery, including sharper vision and less dependence on glasses or contacts. Patients find the overall experience to be outstanding and efficient, highly recommending this practice for varied eye care needs.
- Honest and professional staff: The staff at Aloha Laser Vision are described as kind, professional, and honest in their interactions with patients. They provide comprehensive eye exams and give honest recommendations, even if it means not undergoing surgery.
- Skilled surgeons: The surgeons at Aloha Laser Vision are highly skilled and competent in their field. Patients report successful results, with some achieving perfect eyesight after laser surgery. The surgeons also provide clear explanations of the procedure and guide patients through the process, making them feel comfortable and reassured.
- Friendly and attentive staff: Patients consistently mention the friendly and welcoming nature of the staff at Aloha Laser Vision. They make patients feel like VIPs, showing concern and sincerity throughout the entire process, from initial consultation to post-operative care. The staff also ensures that patients are comfortable and well-informed at every step.
Cataract and Vision Center of Hawaii
1712 Liliha St, Honolulu, HI 96817
Patients appreciate the attentive care from most staff and doctors here. They find the eye exams to be comprehensive. A few mention one doctor lacking empathy and long waits, but these appear uncommon.
- Friendly and compassionate staff: Multiple reviews mention the kind and considerate nature of the staff at this eye care center. Patients feel well taken care of and appreciate the staff's empathy and patience.
- Competent and knowledgeable doctors: Reviewers consistently praise the doctors at this eye care center for their expertise and professionalism. They feel confident in the comprehensive eye exams and receive clear communication about their eye conditions and treatments.
- Efficient and well-run clinic: Many reviews mention the efficiency and timeliness of appointments at this eye care center. Patients appreciate the minimal wait times and proper protocols for distancing and cleaning.
REID K. SAITO, O.D. LLC
1401 S Beretania St. #570, Honolulu, HI 96814
Dr. Saito offers thorough, comfortable eye exams and has a professional, attentive manner. His friendly staff and advanced technology ensure comprehensive testing. Patients recommend Dr. Saito for his expertise and willingness to address their eye care needs.
- Dr. Saito and his staff are attentive, friendly, and make patients feel comfortable during eye exams.
- The eye care center has advanced technology and performs thorough tests, ensuring potential eye health issues are detected.
- The office staff is welcoming, knowledgeable, and patient, making the scheduling and appointment process easy and smooth.
Lins Eye Care LLC: Paul and Kristina Lin
700 Ke’eaumoku St, Honolulu, HI 96814
Patients consistently commend the friendly and knowledgeable doctors at Lins Eye Care, especially Drs. Tina and Paul Lin, for their thorough eye exams. The professional and attentive staff receives high marks for helping patients understand costs and insurance. The clean, organized offices also draw praise. In short, Lins comes highly recommended for personalized, comprehensive eye care.
- Friendly and informative service, with knowledgeable and caring optometrists
- Thorough eye exams that emphasize the importance of vision health
- Clean and well-organized offices, with accommodating and helpful staff
737 Bishop St # 110, Honolulu, HI 96813
Downtown Vision provides exceptional eye care and customer service under Dr. Chun’s leadership. Patients consistently compliment the professional, thorough and friendly staff. Dr. Chun offers clear explanations during exams and close attention to detail. The conveniently located office has easy parking and a helpful, responsive staff. Many patients report great experiences getting glasses and contacts quickly with excellent service.
- Thorough and informative eye exams: Multiple reviewers praised Dr. Chun for his thoroughness during the eye exams and his ability to explain the exam process and findings in simple terms.
- Friendly and professional staff: Reviewers consistently mentioned the friendly and professional nature of Dr. Chun and his wife Mia, highlighting their kindness, patience, and attentiveness.
- Quick service and convenient location: Several reviewers appreciated the quick service provided by Downtown Vision, including same-day glasses and efficient repairs. The location was also praised for its great downtown location and easy parking.
Hawaii Eye Institute
1380 Lusitana St #604, Honolulu, HI 96813
The eye care center is well-reviewed for its friendly, professional staff, thorough eye exams, and caring doctors. Dr. Schmidt comes highly recommended for his expertise, kindness, and going above and beyond. The office atmosphere is positive and comfortable. A couple reviews cited issues with insurance coverage and front desk staff.
- Great friendly service and professional staff
- Thorough eye exams using top of the line equipment
- Experienced and caring doctors who go above and beyond for their patients
- Positive vibe and comfortable environment at the office
- Excellent patient care and follow-up for cataract surgery
- Friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable staff throughout the process
- Successful cataract surgeries with clear and improved vision
- Professional and caring staff who make patients feel comfortable and in good hands
- Quick and efficient appointment experience
- Skilled and knowledgeable doctors who provide excellent care with a great attitude.
Fong Eyecare Center
725 Kapiolani Blvd # C204, Honolulu, HI 96813
The eye care center receives overwhelmingly positive feedback for its comprehensive exams, clear doctor explanations, advanced technology, and helpful staff. Many customers have been loyal for years and enthusiastically recommend the center to others.
- Thorough and detailed eye exams.
- Friendly and courteous staff that takes the time to explain procedures and results.
- Uses latest technology and keeps up with advancements in eye care.
Jenkins Eye Care
615 Piikoi St # 205, Honolulu, HI 96814
This eye care center receives glowing reviews for the life-changing vision improvements from surgeries. Patients commend Dr. Jenkins and staff for their friendliness, professionalism and efficiency in consultations, procedures and follow-ups. A few negative reviews cite long waits and dissatisfaction with follow-up surgeries. However the overwhelming positivity and recommendations indicate an exceptional, highly-regarded eye care center.
- Dr. Jenkins is highly experienced and skilled in LASIK surgery, with successful results reported by multiple patients.
- The office is clean, organized, and convenient, with friendly and welcoming staff.
- The practice utilizes the most up-to-date technology at a reasonable cost compared to other eye care practices.
- Patients receive thorough and professional care, with clear communication of pre and post-operative instructions.
- The clinic implements good COVID-19 protocols, ensuring safety and efficiency for patients.
- Staff members like Chastity are praised for being personable, professional, and conducting meticulous tests.
- The doctors and male staff are described as nice and professional.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in Hawaii
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, a higher percentage of people aged 65 and older in Hawaii experienced blindness or difficulty seeing compared to those aged 40-64. in Hawaii, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in Hawaii
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in Hawaii.
- The In Hawaii in 2018, people with diabetes had more than twice the risk of vision problems compared to the overall population, with 8.27% of diabetics experiencing blindness or difficulty seeing compared to 3.99% of the general population. and In Hawaii in 2018, the percentage of people who smoked tobacco and had difficulty seeing was slightly higher than the overall percentage of people who had difficulty seeing, suggesting that smoking may slightly increase the risk of vision problems in that state. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in Hawaii
- In Hawaii, 3.99% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in Hawaii
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 2.53% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 4.55% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in Hawaii face even higher rates at 5.26%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in Hawaii
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in Hawaii.
- 8.27% of those with diabetes and 5.7% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in Hawaii
- Early vision care is crucial, with 67.93% of children in Hawaii having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 0.77% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in Hawaii
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 3.99% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in Hawaii.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.