Best Eye Doctors In Birmingham, AL
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Birmingham Optometrists in Birmingham, Birmingham, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Birmingham reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Birmingham.
Alabama Eye & Cataract Center, PC
1201 11th Ave S #501, Birmingham, AL 35205
Alabama Eye and Cataract Center receives positive feedback for their comprehensive eye exams, customized care, and effective surgeries. Dr. Jennifer Michelson is highly regarded for her expertise, compassion, and clear communication. The professional, caring staff attentively answers questions. Patients report satisfaction with the center’s services and vision improvements.
- Knowledgeable and experienced doctors - Dr. Michaelson and Dr. Jennifer Michelson are highly skilled and knowledgeable in their field of eye care. They provide thorough examinations and personalized attention to each patient.
- Excellent results - Many patients have had successful eye surgeries and cataract removals at Alabama Eye and Cataract Center, resulting in improved vision without the need for glasses or contacts.
- Welcoming and caring staff - The staff at Alabama Eye and Cataract Center are friendly, welcoming, and genuinely interested in the care and well-being of their patients. They provide a comfortable environment and are always available to answer any questions or concerns.
UAB Eye Care
1716 University Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35294
The UAB School of Optometry eye care center is highly regarded for its professional, thorough, and caring doctors and staff. Patients often describe their exams at UAB as the most comprehensive they’ve received and enthusiastically recommend the clinic for complete eye care.
- Thorough and comprehensive eye exams: Many reviewers mentioned that the eye exams at this eye care center are extremely thorough and comprehensive. They felt confident that the results of their exams were accurate and received excellent care.
- Knowledgeable and friendly staff: The staff at the eye care center was repeatedly praised for their professionalism, knowledge, and friendliness. Reviewers mentioned that they received thorough explanations and step-by-step tutorials during their exams, which made them feel at ease and understood.
- Teaching and learning environment: As an optometry school, this eye care center offers a unique experience where students are involved in the examinations. Reviewers appreciated the teaching setting, mentioning that although the exams may take slightly longer, the professionalism and thoroughness were worth it.
STEEL CITY EYE CARE
2937 7th Ave S #104, Birmingham, AL 35233
Steel City Eye Care patients describe Dr. Hudson’s eye exams as thorough and attentive. His professional, friendly staff help patients select customized eyewear from a wide selection of frames. Appointments outside normal hours provide added convenience. Patients strongly recommend Dr. Hudson and Steel City Eye Care.
- Dr. Hudson is described as professional, attentive, and thorough, providing a great eye examination experience.
- The office is cozy and well-kept, creating a welcoming atmosphere for patients.
- The optometrist takes time to assist patients in picking out the perfect glasses and offers a wide variety of frames with interesting styles/designs.
- The eye care center offers appointments outside of normal business hours, providing convenience for patients.
- Dr. Hudson is praised for her kindness, caring nature, and willingness to spend time with patients.
- The quality of the eye exam is commended, and contact lens prescriptions are filled with efficiency.
- The eye care center offers reasonable prices and works well with insurance providers.
- Dr. Hudson is described as knowledgeable, debunking past misinformation, and explaining eye health to patients.
- The optometrist is responsive and easy to schedule appointments with.
- The location of the eye care center is highly convenient.
Lori A. Jasper, OD
2226 1st Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233
The eye care center’s staff is known for being friendly and making patients feel valued. Dr. Lori comes highly recommended for her excellent patient care.
- The staff is friendly and makes patients feel important.
- Dr. Lori is highly recommended by previous patients.
Dr. Mathew R. Sapp, MD
2208 University Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35233
Dr. Sapp’s reassuring bedside manner puts patients at ease. His attentive expertise in retinal issues and trauma is highly regarded. Both the doctor and his caring staff aim to make visits as stress-free as possible. Patients strongly recommend Dr. Sapp as the area’s foremost retina specialist.
- Dr. Sapp is patient and caring, providing a comforting and uplifting experience during appointments.
- The entire staff, including Dr. Sapp, is highly skilled and knowledgeable in eye care, especially in handling traumatic situations and retina issues.
Wells Valencia R OD
2229 Morris Ave, Birmingham, AL 35203
The eye care center provides exceptional service and affordable glasses. Patients appreciate the great atmosphere, professional staff, and Dr. Well’s expertise.
- Professional and friendly staff: Multiple reviewers mentioned that the staff at this eye care center is professional and provides excellent service. This suggests that customers can expect a positive experience during their eye exams and interactions with the staff.
- Affordable glasses: One reviewer mentioned that they were able to find affordable glasses at this eye care center. This indicates that customers have access to a range of options that fit their budget, making it a more accessible option for eye care and vision correction needs.
University Optometric Group
1701 9th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35205
The reviewer, a 40 year patient, strongly recommends University Optometric Group Uab, particularly their original doctor. They had an unsatisfactory experience at another center, underscoring the value of an established optometrist. The Uab staff is noted as professional, courteous, and a good source for unique eyewear.
- Long-standing trusted care: Patients have been receiving eye care and eye exams at this center since 1982, with many of them still being treated by their original doctor. This demonstrates the continuity and trust people have in the center's services.
- Comprehensive care for the whole family: The center has provided eye care services not only to the reviewer but also to their immediate and extended family members. This suggests that the center is capable of catering to diverse needs and age groups.
- Professional and courteous staff: The staff at this center is highly praised for their professionalism, courtesy, and helpfulness. This indicates a positive patient experience and a customer-centric approach.
700 18th St S, Birmingham, AL 35233
The eye care center’s doctor is lauded for their kindness, patience, and effective communication. Patients speak highly of the doctor’s professionalism, competence, and thoroughness during examinations, which instills confidence. Reviews indicate patients have an overwhelmingly positive experience.
- The eye care provider is highly knowledgeable and patient, ensuring that all questions are answered and understood.
- The provider is professional and thorough, instilling confidence in the quality of care received.
Patricia Benjamin, OD
2019 Highland Ave, Birmingham, AL 35205
Customers appreciated the friendly and welcoming staff at this eye care center. A reviewer mentioned the helpfulness of Camillia. Another was pleased with Dr. Benjamin’s attentive care and trusted her judgment.
- Welcoming and friendly staff: Many reviewers mentioned that the staff at this eye care center was welcoming and friendly, creating a positive atmosphere for the patients.
- Personalized and attentive care: The eye care center is known for providing personalized and attentive care to its patients. Reviewers mentioned that the optometrist, Doctor Benjamin, takes the time to answer questions, make patients feel listened to, and never rushes through appointments.
NowVision Eye Care
2226 1st Ave S STE 103, Birmingham, AL 35233
NowVision Eye Care is highly recommended for their attentive, personalized eye care and minimal wait times. Dr. Jasper takes time to understand patients’ needs and provide excellent treatment. The office is small so calling ahead avoids closures at lunch. Patients recommend NowVision and Dr. Jasper for professional, thorough exams.
- Prompt and attentive care: The eye care center is known for providing excellent care with short wait times and thorough examinations.
- Thorough and knowledgeable doctors: Patients appreciate the thoroughness and knowledge of Dr. Jasper, who takes the time to listen to their concerns and explains everything well.
- Friendly and helpful staff: The staff at NowVision Eye Care is described as professional, personable, and providing excellent customer service, making patients feel comfortable and welcome.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in Alabama
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, a higher percentage of people aged 40-64 in Alabama reported being blind or having difficulty seeing compared to those aged 65 and older. in Alabama, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in Alabama
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in Alabama.
- The In Alabama in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was higher among those with diabetes (11.8%) compared to the overall population (6.41%), indicating that having diabetes increases the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 5.4%. and In Alabama in 2018, the percentage of people who smoked tobacco and had difficulty seeing was higher (11.3%) than the overall percentage of people who had difficulty seeing (6.41%), indicating that smoking increases the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 5%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in Alabama
- In Alabama, 6.41% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in Alabama
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 3.36% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 8.52% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in Alabama face even higher rates at 7.5%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in Alabama
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in Alabama.
- 11.8% of those with diabetes and 11.3% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in Alabama
- Early vision care is crucial, with 71.09% of children in Alabama having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 3.29% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in Alabama
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 6.41% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in Alabama.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.