Best Eye Doctors In Norfolk, VA
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Norfolk Optometrists in Norfolk, Norfolk, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Norfolk reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Norfolk.
America’s Best Contacts & Eyeglasses
5802 E Virginia Beach Blvd Suite 107, Norfolk, VA 23502
The staff at this eye care center receive high marks for their friendliness and professionalism, with positive experiences mentioned for Tonia and Christi. However, one reviewer encountered issues with cost and incorrect glasses that, while ultimately refunded, revealed a less personable side of the staff. Still, most reviewers recount pleasant experiences and recommend this place.
- The staff, particularly Tonia and Christi, are highly praised for their friendly and welcoming personalities, making the eye exam experience enjoyable and comfortable.
- The appointment process is efficient, with minimal waiting time, and the pre-exam portion is thorough and enjoyable for both adults and children.
- The doctors are skilled and knowledgeable, ensuring clear vision and providing educational information during the exam process.
- The staff, including Alycia and Kaci, are helpful and patient in assisting with frame selection, ensuring customers find the right style and fit for their needs.
Gilbert Eyecare – Norfolk
220 W Brambleton Ave, Norfolk, VA 23510
Gilbert Eyecare provides quality eye care with friendly, knowledgeable staff. Patients appreciate the thorough exams, attentive doctors, and help with insurance and payments.
- Quick and efficient eye exams with thorough explanations and knowledgeable doctors.
- Friendly and helpful staff that go above and beyond to assist with insurance verification and payment options.
- Great customer service with a focus on personalized care, including taking into account age, insurance, lifestyle, and visual needs.
Virginia Eye Consultants
241 Corporate Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23502
The eye care center provides comprehensive exams and attentive care from knowledgeable doctors and nurses. Patients mention the friendly atmosphere and report positive experiences. Successful surgeries and improved vision are also highlighted in reviews.
- Comprehensive and thorough eye exams: Multiple reviews mention that the eye exams at Virginia Eye Consultants are comprehensive, with detailed attention given to the condition of the eyes.
- Professional and caring doctors: Many reviewers appreciate the professionalism and caring nature of the doctors at Virginia Eye Consultants. They mention that the doctors take their time to answer questions, provide clear instructions, and follow up after surgeries or procedures.
- Friendly and welcoming staff: Several reviews highlight the friendly and welcoming nature of the staff at Virginia Eye Consultants. They mention that the atmosphere is positive and comfortable, making the overall experience pleasant.
Southern EyeCare Associates
7525 Tidewater Dr Suite 41, Norfolk, VA 23505
Southern EyeCare Associates is well-reviewed for their courteous, professional staff, minimal wait times, and thorough, informative eye exams. One reviewer mentioned an unfortunate experience with Dr. Batac involving an incorrect prescription and poor communication about screening results. Most reviewers strongly recommend this facility for the friendly, efficient staff and attentive, quality care from optometrists.
- Courteous and professional staff: The staff and optometrists at Southern EyeCare Associates are highly professional and treat patients with respect. They value input and ensure that all aspects of the eye exam are explained in advance.
- Minimal wait time: Patients have reported minimal wait times at Southern EyeCare Associates, indicating that the center values their time and works efficiently to provide quick and efficient eye exams.
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff: Patients have expressed that the staff at Southern EyeCare Associates is welcoming, personable, and knowledgeable. They are helpful in answering questions and providing assistance in frame selection and fitting.
Envision Ghent Optometry
335 W 21st St, Norfolk, VA 23517
Envision Ghent Optometry patients describe a welcoming, professional office with knowledgeable staff providing thorough exams. The latest technology and equipment ensure a comfortable experience. Most reviews are glowing, though one mentioned unclear insurance coverage for certain tests.
- Thorough and comprehensive eye exams: Many reviewers mentioned that the eye exams at Envision Ghent were the most thorough they've ever had. The doctors take their time and explain everything clearly, ensuring that patients feel well taken care of.
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff: The staff at Envision Ghent received several positive mentions for being friendly, caring, and knowledgeable. They take the time to answer questions, help patients select frames, and explain payment and insurance options.
- State-of-the-art equipment: Reviewers noted that the diagnostic equipment at Envision Ghent is state-of-the-art, providing accurate and up-to-date results. This helps facilitate a more accurate and thorough eye exam experience.
128 E Little Creek Rd, Norfolk, VA 23505
The majority of reviews for this eye care center highlight friendly, knowledgeable staff and excellent service. A few mention rude or unprofessional staff, but most emphasize the positive – good service and quality glasses.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Multiple reviews mention the staff at this location being friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. They greet customers with a smile and provide excellent service throughout the entire eye care and eyeglass selection process.
- Good customer service: The staff goes out of their way to assist customers with insurance issues, making calls to the insurance company on their behalf. They strive to resolve any issues and ensure a smooth experience.
- Quick turnaround time: Several reviewers mention that their glasses were ready on time or arrived quickly after ordering. This indicates efficient service and minimal waiting times.
Dr. Elizabeth M. Borza
128 E Little Creek Rd, Norfolk, VA 23505
Dr. Borza was highly recommended for her amazing care, kindness, gentleness, knowledge and engaging manner. Patients appreciated the ease, speed and professionalism of exams. One patient did have an issue with front desk staff making a scheduling error and exhibiting unhelpful behavior. Overall, Dr. Borza’s excellent care earned great reviews.
- Dr. Borza is highly praised for her kindness, professionalism, and thoroughness in conducting eye exams. Patients appreciate her engaging and gentle approach, especially when it comes to children.
- The office staff at this eye care center is described as polite, professional, and accommodating. They make the appointment process seamless, provide necessary paperwork in advance, and offer prompt assistance with any questions or concerns.
- Patients appreciate the pleasant and clean environment of the office, as well as the quick and painless eye exams. The knowledgeable and caring nature of the doctors, including Dr. Jenni Johnson and Dr. Sadia K., is also highlighted.
300 Monticello Ave Suite 160, Norfolk, VA 23510
Customers frequently commend this eye care center’s staff for their patient, helpful demeanor and expertise. The team strives to keep prices affordable and frame turnaround times short. Exceptional service from staff like Fran and Tasha is specifically noted. However, some reviews cite poor customer service and long wait times.
- Friendly and patient staff who help customers choose frames and ensure they get the best price with insurance.
- Quick turnaround time for frames, with one customer's frames ready a day and a half earlier than promised.
- Knowledgeable and accommodating staff who go out of their way to fix and replace frames, even for difficult cases.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in Virginia
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In Virginia in 2018, a higher percentage of individuals aged 65 and older experienced blindness or difficulty seeing compared to those aged 40-64. in Virginia, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in Virginia
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in Virginia.
- The The percentage of people in Virginia that were blind or had difficulty seeing in 2018 was almost double for those with diabetes, indicating that having diabetes increases your risk of vision problems by approximately 4.46%. and In Virginia in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was higher among those who smoked tobacco (7.61%) compared to the overall population (4.36%), indicating that smoking increases the risk of vision problems by approximately 3.25%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in Virginia
- In Virginia, 4.36% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in Virginia
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 2.65% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 4.52% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in Virginia face even higher rates at 7.24%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in Virginia
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in Virginia.
- 8.82% of those with diabetes and 7.61% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in Virginia
- Early vision care is crucial, with 72.88% of children in Virginia having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 0.75% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in Virginia
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 4.36% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in Virginia.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.