Best Eye Doctors In Sumter, SC
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Sumter Optometrists in Sumter, Sumter, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Sumter reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Sumter.
Eye Care of Lexington
119 Library Hill Ln, Lexington, SC 29072
Reviews of this eye care center are mixed. While some cite issues like unprofessionalism and misdiagnosis, others praise the thorough eye exams, helpful doctors, and professional staff. Experiences appear to depend on the specific provider.
- Thorough and detailed eye exams: Several reviewers praised the eye care center for their thorough and not rushed eye exams, as well as the professionalism and knowledge of the doctors.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Many reviewers mentioned the friendly and helpful nature of the staff, noting that they provided excellent customer service and were willing to assist with any eye care needs.
- State-of-the-art equipment and convenient location: Some reviewers mentioned that the office utilizes state-of-the-art equipment, providing a high level of care. Additionally, the convenient location and ease of setting up appointments were mentioned as positive aspects of the eye care center.
H Rubin Vision Center-Sumter
1057 Broad St #1, Sumter, SC 29150
H Rubin Vision Center in Sumter, SC receives mostly positive reviews for thorough eye exams, professional staff – especially Dr. Dean – and help choosing eyewear. A few patients had billing or customer service issues, with one feeling dismissed for canceling an order. However, most patients recommend H Rubin Vision Center for comprehensive eye care.
- Thorough and professional eye exams: Multiple reviews mention that the eye exams at H Rubin Vision Center are extremely thorough and comprehensive. Patients appreciate the level of professionalism exhibited by Dr. Steve Dean and his staff.
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff: The staff at H Rubin Vision Center are consistently praised for their friendliness and expertise. Patients feel comfortable and at ease throughout the eye exam and glasses selection process.
- Efficient and organized practice: Many reviews highlight the efficiency and organization of H Rubin Vision Center. Patients mention short wait times, a well-structured appointment process, and a team that works together seamlessly to provide a positive experience.
1177 Broad St Ste B, Sumter, SC 29150
This eye care center receives mostly positive feedback for thorough exams, helpful staff, reasonable pricing, and quick service. One reviewer did report expensive exams and glasses, so comparing prices is advised. Overall, reviews indicate good service and value.
- The eye care center has knowledgeable doctors who thoroughly explain eye conditions and provide recommendations to improve vision.
- The staff and doctors are extremely helpful and efficient, providing quick service even for walk-in appointments.
- The eye care center offers high-quality glasses with a wide selection to choose from, and there is a possibility of getting glasses ready for pickup in a short time frame.
Eye on Broad
127 Broad St, Sumter, SC 29150
Patients consistently mention the professionalism and friendliness of the staff at this eye care center, with Dr. Scheele often noted. Thorough eye exams using advanced equipment and a pleasant, accommodating atmosphere contribute to positive experiences, especially for those with children. Many enthusiastic recommendations come from long-term patients.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Many reviewers mention that the staff at Eye on Broad is friendly, helpful, and professional, making the experience more pleasant and comfortable.
- Thorough eye exams: Multiple reviewers commend Dr. Scheele for providing thorough eye exams, ensuring that all aspects of their eye health are addressed.
- State-of-the-art equipment: The clinic is praised for having state-of-the-art equipment, including a digital retinal camera that eliminates the need for dilation in some cases and makes the eye exams more convenient for patients.
Dr. Gregory A. King, MD
365 W Wesmark Blvd, Sumter, SC 29150
The eye care center receives excellent reviews for their friendly, efficient, and thorough doctors and staff. Patients describe short wait times and a comfortable, professional environment. The majority of reviewers enthusiastically recommend this inviting clinic.
- Friendly and personable staff: Reviewers consistently mention how nice, friendly, and helpful the staff at Sumter Eye Center are. This creates a welcoming and comfortable environment for patients.
- Short wait times: Several reviewers were pleased with the short wait times at Sumter Eye Center, indicating that the clinic is efficient in getting patients in and out without long delays.
- Knowledgeable and thorough doctors: Reviewers praised the doctors at Sumter Eye Center for their professionalism, thoroughness, and ability to answer all questions about eye care. This indicates that patients can trust the expertise and knowledge of the doctors at this location.
Doctor’s Eye Center Pa
1177 Broad St, Sumter, SC 29150
Reviews praise the eye care center’s friendly, fast service and professional, knowledgeable doctors who make patients feel comfortable and informed during exams. Patients highlight Dr. Buck for addressing health issues like high blood pressure and diabetes. Short wait times and excellent customer care, particularly with children, are also commended. Patients strongly recommend this patient-focused eye care center.
- Friendly and kid-friendly staff: Many reviewers mentioned that the staff at this eye care center is friendly and great with kids. This can be reassuring for parents looking for a place that makes their children feel comfortable during eye exams.
- Knowledgeable and thorough doctor: Multiple reviewers praised Dr. Buck for his professionalism, knowledge about eye health, and thoroughness in explaining examination results and prescriptions. This can be important for those seeking comprehensive eye care.
- Efficient service: Several reviewers mentioned that the wait times, once called back, were relatively short, and the overall service was quick and efficient. This can be a positive aspect for busy individuals looking to save time during their eye care appointments.
Doctors of Optometry – Sumter Mall
1057-48 Broad St, Sumter, SC 29150
Customers were pleased with the eye care center, noting the friendly and helpful staff. They appreciated the use of telemedicine eye exams and a new television system. Customers also complimented the professionalism, knowledge and efficiency of the staff.
- Friendly and welcoming staff: Many reviewers mention that the staff at this eye care center are friendly, caring, and make them feel comfortable during their visit.
- Efficient and organized: Some reviewers appreciated the efficient and well-organized nature of the eye exams, with little to no wait time. The use of telemedicine technology was also mentioned as a positive aspect of the experience.
Carolinas Centers For Sight- Sumter
380 W Wesmark Blvd, Sumter, SC 29150
The majority of reviews praise Carolina Centers for Sight doctors and staff for professionalism, friendliness, and expertise. Patients report feeling well cared for, with staff readily answering questions and providing a positive experience. However, two reviews cite issues – one mentioning long wait times and poor communication, the other criticizing the call center. Overall, the eye care center garners positive feedback for outstanding doctors and staff.
- Friendly and personable doctors who take the time to explain and provide additional information on eye health.
- Kind and helpful staff, who go above and beyond to assist with any questions or concerns.
- A welcoming and friendly atmosphere, where patients feel like part of the family and are treated with respect and concern.
Palmetto Retina Center
645 W Wesmark Blvd, Sumter, SC 29150
A complaint was made about inaccurate directions to the office, which caused confusion. However, others expressed appreciation for the quality care and attention received from Carolina Retina Center, with one patient describing the experience as great.
- I am very happy with the care and attention I received at Carolina Retina Center." - This review indicates that the eye care center provides excellent care and attention to their patients, suggesting a high level of professionalism.
- Great" - Although brief, this positive review suggests an overall positive experience at the eye care center, indicating that it may be a satisfactory place for eye exams and eye care.
- N/A - Due to the first review highlighting bad directions, there is insufficient information to provide a third pro.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in South Carolina
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, a higher percentage of people aged 65 and older in South Carolina experienced blindness or difficulty seeing compared to those aged 40-64. in South Carolina, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in South Carolina
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in South Carolina.
- The In South Carolina in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was 12.3% among those with diabetes, which is more than twice the overall percentage of 5.71%, indicating that having diabetes significantly increases the risk of vision problems in that state. and In South Carolina in 2018, the percentage of people who smoked tobacco and had difficulty seeing was higher (8.46%) than the overall percentage of people who had difficulty seeing (5.71%), indicating that smoking may increase the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 2.75%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in South Carolina
- In South Carolina, 5.71% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in South Carolina
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 2.87% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 6.75% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in South Carolina face even higher rates at 8.29%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in South Carolina
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in South Carolina.
- 12.3% of those with diabetes and 8.46% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in South Carolina
- Early vision care is crucial, with 65.92% of children in South Carolina having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 2.27% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in South Carolina
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 5.71% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in South Carolina.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.