Best Eye Doctors In Charleston, SC
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Charleston Optometrists in Charleston, Charleston, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Charleston reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Charleston.
Infinity Eye Care: Michael Zolman, OD
325 Folly Rd #109, Charleston, SC 29412
Infinity Eye Care is well-regarded for Dr. Zolman and staff’s attentive care during exams. Patients appreciate their thorough explanations and responsiveness. However, some cite customer service issues like improper glasses fitting and order delays. Still, most recommend this practice for its expert, welcoming staff, advanced technology, and fair pricing.
- Exceptional level of care: Both the doctor and staff take their time to answer questions and explain the process during eye exams, making patients feel valued and informed.
- Thorough eye exams: The eye exams at this center are described as thorough and comprehensive, ensuring that all aspects of eye health are evaluated and discussed.
- Professional and friendly staff: The staff at this eye care center are praised for their friendliness, professionalism, and willingness to help. They make patients feel comfortable and provide helpful recommendations for improving eyesight.
Family Vision Care
966 Houston Northcutt Blvd Suite D, Mt Pleasant, SC 29464
Family Vision Care receives largely positive reviews for their pleasant, knowledgeable, and patient staff. Patients appreciate the thorough eye exams, kid-friendly office, and frame selection help. However, one review cited issues with insurance processing, a rushed exam, and incorrect billing. Most recommend Family Vision Care for their excellent service.
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff: Multiple reviews mention that the staff at Family Vision Care is pleasant, helpful, and patient, making the overall experience positive.
- Thorough and professional eye exams: Several reviews highlight the thoroughness of the eye exams conducted by Dr. Smith, mentioning that he is able to answer any questions and provide a comprehensive examination.
- Child-friendly environment: Reviewers with children appreciate the kid-friendly environment and the staff's patience in working with young patients, making it a good choice for families seeking eye care for their kids.
88 Folly Rd Blvd, Charleston, SC 29407
Palmetto Vision Care patients report easy online appointment booking and friendly staff. Quick, painless exams and on-site eyeglass purchases draw positive reviews. Patients highly recommend this practice for eye care.
- Convenient online appointment scheduling
- Friendly and professional staff
- Quick and painless eye exams
- Thorough and helpful in picking out glasses
- Knowledgeable and experienced optometrists
Lowcountry Eye Care – West Ashley
12 Farmfield Ave Suite C, Charleston, SC 29407
This eye care center is renowned for its friendly and helpful staff that efficiently schedule appointments. Patients frequently comment on doctors taking time to interact and establish rapport, making exams relaxing, especially for children. However, the optical shop draws some criticism for slow service and lack of follow-up. With excellent customer service, wide selection of eyeglasses, and efficient exams, customers strongly recommend this eye care center.
- Flexible scheduling and accommodating for both children and adults, allowing for back-to-back appointments.
- Friendly and personable staff who take the time to establish rapport and make patients feel comfortable during exams.
- Excellent customer service, efficient appointments, and a wide selection of glasses and contacts.
217 Calhoun St Unit 1, Charleston, SC 29401
Charleston Eye provides professional eye care in a conveniently located, modern facility. Patients appreciate the friendly, patient staff and thorough, comprehensive exams. Many note the personal touch and excellent customer service.
- Knowledgeable and patient optometrist: Dr. Smouse takes his time to explain the results of the eye exam, answers questions, and provides thorough explanations of diagnoses and recommendations.
- Friendly and caring staff: The staff at Charleston Eye are described as friendly, kind, helpful, and accommodating. They genuinely care about the well-being of their patients and provide a personal touch in their service.
- Convenient location and updated facilities: The office is conveniently located with ample parking. The waiting room is comfortable and updated, and the practice has invested in the latest tech innovations in eye care. Patients appreciate the convenience and modern facilities.
355 King St, Charleston, SC 29401
SEE Eyewear earns consistent positive reviews for their optometry expertise, attentive customer service, and wide eyewear selection. Patients comment on the comprehensive eye exams and enjoyment of picking out frames with helpful, patient staff. Reviewers also appreciate extra efforts like staying late to remove debris from a child’s eye or tracking down specific frames. Customers strongly recommend SEE Eyewear for thorough eye care and finding fashionable eyewear.
- The team at SEE Eyewear provides exceptional customer service, with staff members mentioned by name in multiple reviews. They are described as knowledgeable, patient, and professional.
- Customers appreciate the thoroughness of the eye exams and the assistance in selecting trendy and stylish frames.
- The staff goes above and beyond for their customers, such as staying late to help remove a foreign object from a child's eye and offering discounts on hard-to-find frames.
King Street Vision
331 King St, Charleston, SC 29401
Dr. Reiheld and the friendly, helpful staff at King Street Vision provide excellent eye care services. Patients appreciate the professional, thorough exams and wide selection of quality eyewear. Multiple reviewers recommend this accommodating office for eye exams, glasses, and contacts.
- Dr. Reiheld provides excellent service and has helped patients with eye exams and glasses for over 15 years.
- King Street Vision offers a wide selection of quality prescription eyewear and sunglasses at various price points.
- The staff at King Street Vision are friendly, accommodating, and provide excellent customer service. They go above and beyond to help patients, even in emergency situations.
Coastal Eye Care
1606 Harbor View Rd, Charleston, SC 29412
The first review reveals rude staff and unnecessary tests. The second describes friendly staff but challenges with scheduling and apologies. Another cites billing issues and pressure to purchase expensive eyewear. Most applaud the doctors’ capabilities and staff helpfulness, though one critiques billing methods.
- Friendly and competent staff: Many reviewers mentioned that the staff at this eye care center were friendly and helpful, making their experience pleasant and enjoyable.
- Skilled and knowledgeable doctors: Multiple reviewers praised the doctors at this eye care center for their professionalism, expertise, and willingness to address all of their concerns. They felt confident in the care they received.
- Good customer service: Despite some negative reviews, many reviewers appreciated the customer service provided by the front desk staff. They mentioned that they were able to easily schedule appointments, receive prompt responses to inquiries, and have their needs met efficiently.
Lowcountry Eye Care – South Mount Pleasant
855 Houston Northcutt Blvd, Mt Pleasant, SC 29464
Primary Care Optometry provides compassionate, professional eye care. Patients appreciate the convenient appointments, thorough exams, and personalized service. Most feel comfortable and informed, reporting positive experiences. A few negative reviews cite appointment issues and an uncooperative doctor, but most highly recommend Primary Care Optometry and Lowcountry Eye Care for exceptional service, knowledgeable doctors, and friendly staff.
- Compassionate and professional staff.
- Thorough eye examinations and personalized care.
- Accommodating and flexible appointment times.
- Knowledgeable doctors who are great with all age groups.
- Excellent customer service and friendly staff.
- Ability to foresee potential medical issues through thorough eye exams.
- Fast and efficient service, especially for emergencies or urgent needs.
- State-of-the-art technology and equipment for accurate diagnosis.
- Helpfulness in fixing glasses and providing quick solutions.
- Wide selection of frames and sunglasses to choose from.
- Good and kind staff with a positive demeanor.
Premier Eye Care
652 Coleman Blvd Suite 104, Mt Pleasant, SC 29464
Premier Eye Care is praised for thorough exams, expert frame and contact lens recommendations, and clear pricing. A few negative reviews cite issues getting contact lens prescriptions or glasses adjustments, but most customers recommend Premier for excellent service, knowledgeable doctors, and wide frame selection.
- Thorough and informative eye exams: The eye care center offers comprehensive eye exams that last 90 minutes, during which they explain every option and answer any questions. They also have a good understanding of different brands and lenses, providing clear choices for high power lenses.
- Excellent customer service: The majority of Google reviews for the eye care center are five stars, praising their helpfulness, professionalism, and top-notch customer service. They are easy to schedule appointments with, provide thorough eye care, and have a friendly and accommodating staff.
- Wide selection of frames and glasses: The eye care center offers a great selection of cool-looking glasses and frames. They have a variety of options available at different price points, ensuring that customers can find the perfect pair of glasses for their needs.
Warby Parker King St.
415 King St, Charleston, SC 29403
Customers had largely positive experiences with the knowledgeable doctors and friendly staff at this eye care center. However, some customers faced challenges with scheduling appointments and contacting the office. With a wide selection of frames, this is still a recommended place for eye exams and buying glasses.
- Excellent customer service: Many reviews praise the helpful and friendly staff at this eye care center. Customers appreciate the assistance they receive in selecting frames, trying on multiple pairs, and getting personalized recommendations.
- Efficient eye exams: Multiple reviews highlight the quick and informative eye exams provided by the doctors at this location. Customers mention being in and out with their new prescriptions and glasses in a short amount of time.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in South Carolina
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, a higher percentage of people aged 65 and older in South Carolina experienced blindness or difficulty seeing compared to those aged 40-64. in South Carolina, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in South Carolina
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in South Carolina.
- The In South Carolina in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was 12.3% among those with diabetes, which is more than twice the overall percentage of 5.71%, indicating that having diabetes significantly increases the risk of vision problems in that state. and In South Carolina in 2018, the percentage of people who smoked tobacco and had difficulty seeing was higher (8.46%) than the overall percentage of people who had difficulty seeing (5.71%), indicating that smoking may increase the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 2.75%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in South Carolina
- In South Carolina, 5.71% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in South Carolina
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 2.87% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 6.75% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in South Carolina face even higher rates at 8.29%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in South Carolina
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in South Carolina.
- 12.3% of those with diabetes and 8.46% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in South Carolina
- Early vision care is crucial, with 65.92% of children in South Carolina having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 2.27% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in South Carolina
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 5.71% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in South Carolina.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.