Best Eye Doctors In Schenectady, NY
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Schenectady Optometrists in Schenectady, Schenectady, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Schenectady reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Schenectady.
Ophthalmic Consultants of the Capital Region
500 State St Suite 1A, Schenectady, NY 12305
Patients reported long wait times, unprofessional behavior from staff, poor communication about insurance and fees, incorrect billing, lost frames, and unexpected use of dilation drops. However, some patients had positive experiences with friendly, knowledgeable staff.
- Friendly and professional staff.
- Knowledgeable and friendly doctor.
- Clean and well-staffed office.
1426 Altamont Ave Suite 1, Schenectady, NY 12303
Customers consistently commend the customer service and thorough eye exams at this eye care center. Helpful opticians assist with frames and insurance. Customers appreciate photos instead of dilation. However, some cite issues with rude receptionists, appointment miscommunications, and payment confusion. Despite this, most highly recommend the professional and caring doctors and staff.
- Excellent customer service: The office staff and opticians provide amazing customer service, helping patients choose frames, applying insurance coverage, and even providing free lens replacements for damaged glasses.
- Thorough and knowledgeable doctors: The doctors, such as Dr. Morier, Dr. Bianchi, and Dr. Karpinski, are highly skilled and thorough in their eye exams, detecting potential issues and providing specialized follow-up when necessary. They also use advanced equipment like retina photos instead of dilation.
- Friendly and helpful staff: The staff, including opticians and front desk receptionists, are friendly, knowledgeable, and go above and beyond to assist patients. They are also helpful in explaining insurance, making the atmosphere comfortable and positive.
Schenectady Eyecare & Eyewear (Dr. Todd Pereira)
1417 Union St, Schenectady, NY 12308
Most reviews for this eye care center are positive, with patients commending the comprehensive exams and precise prescriptions. While some criticize aspects of customer service, pricing, and eyewear quality, most find the staff helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. The majority recommend this practice for its personalized, professional care.
- Best eye exam: Multiple reviewers praised the eye exams at this location, stating that their prescriptions were spot on and that the doctor was thorough in their examination.
- Great staff: Reviewers mentioned that the staff at this office was friendly, helpful, and personable, providing excellent customer service and making them feel comfortable during their visits.
- Convenient location: Several reviewers mentioned that this office was conveniently located, making it easy for them to access eye care services.
Walmart Vision & Glasses
200 Dutch Meadows Ln, Glenville, NY 12302
Most customers compliment the thorough eye exams, professional staff, and wide frame selection at this eye care center. One satisfied patient recommends optometrist Xu for her patience and expertise. However, one reviewer reports unprofessional behavior when ordering glasses online. Overall, this eye care center provides quality vision care with some minor issues ordering glasses online.
- Thorough and professional eye exams: Multiple reviewers praised the eye exams at this location, describing them as the best they have ever had and mentioning the thoroughness and professionalism of the staff.
- Wide frame selection and reasonable prices: Reviewers noted that the eye care center offers a large and varied selection of frames at reasonable prices, making it easy for customers to find a style that suits their preferences and budget.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Multiple reviewers appreciated the friendly and helpful nature of the staff at this location, specifically mentioning their excellent customer service and willingness to assist with any questions or concerns.
Robert B. Feldman, M.D.
670 Franklin St, Schenectady, NY 12305
Dr. Feldman skillfully treated a patient's severe eye injury with compassion. His calm and kind manner was appreciated during the painful procedure.
- Dr. Feldman is kind and calm in the face of scary and painful eye injuries, providing comfort and support to patients.
- Patients appreciate the ability of Dr. Feldman to make them smile, even in painful situations, creating a positive and supportive environment.
Dr. Thomas Morrissey, O.D.
1426 Altamont Ave Suite 1, Schenectady, NY 12303
The eye care center received favorable feedback for its knowledgeable, friendly staff. Multiple reviews indicated the eye doctors performed comprehensive exams and provided precise prescriptions. Overall, the center seems to offer exceptional service and positive experiences for those needing eye exams.
- The staff at this eye care center are highly trained and knowledgeable, providing top-notch service during eye exams and eye care.
- This place has state-of-the-art equipment and technology, ensuring accurate and thorough eye exams for their patients.
- The eye care center has a wide selection of high-quality eyewear options, making it convenient for patients to find the perfect frames or contact lenses.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in New York
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, a higher percentage of people aged 65 and older in New York experienced blindness or difficulty seeing compared to those aged 40-64. in New York, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in New York
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in New York.
- The The percentage of people in New York that were blind or had difficulty seeing in 2018 was significantly higher for those with diabetes, with a 12.1% rate compared to the overall rate of 5.41%, indicating that diabetes increases the risk of vision problems by more than double in that state. and The percentage of people in New York who smoked tobacco and had difficulty seeing in 2018 was higher than the overall percentage of people who had difficulty seeing, indicating that smoking may increase the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 2.84%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in New York
- In New York, 5.41% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in New York
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 3.12% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 5.82% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in New York face even higher rates at 8.75%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in New York
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in New York.
- 12.1% of those with diabetes and 8.25% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in New York
- Early vision care is crucial, with 73.71% of children in New York having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 1.46% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in New York
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 5.41% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in New York.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.