Best Eye Doctors In Amsterdam, NY
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Amsterdam Optometrists in Amsterdam, Amsterdam, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Amsterdam reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Amsterdam.
Maltavista Optometry & Orthokeratology
2715 US-9 #204, Malta, NY 12020
This eye care center receives mostly positive reviews for its professional, pleasant staff, comprehensive exams, and efficient service. One customer had a poor experience feeling mistreated. In general, customers recommend this office for its knowledgeable, friendly staff and clean, comfortable environment.
- Comprehensive and thorough eye exams: Several reviewers mentioned that the eye exams at this center were the most comprehensive they had ever had. The doctors were praised for being knowledgeable, informative, and taking the time to explain each step of the exam process.
- Professional and friendly staff: The staff at this eye care center were consistently described as professional, organized, and pleasant. They were said to handle insurance seamlessly, know exactly what was covered, and provide accurate copay information. Reviewers also appreciated the friendly and accommodating nature of the front desk staff.
- No pressure to purchase: Multiple reviewers noted that there was no pressure to purchase glasses or other products after the eye exam. The doctors made recommendations based on the patients' needs, and there was no pushy sales approach. This was appreciated by those who only required readers or cheaters, as well as those who did not need to purchase glasses at all.
Ophthalmic Consultants of the Capital Region
500 State St Suite 1A, Schenectady, NY 12305
Patients have raised concerns about this eye care center, including excessive eye drop usage, incorrect glasses prescriptions, long waits, undisclosed fees, impolite staff, insurance confusion, problematic billing, missed surgeries, and dismissive responses. However, some patients compliment the friendly, knowledgeable doctors.
- Friendly and professional staff: Despite negative experiences, multiple reviewers mentioned that the staff at the eye care center were mostly friendly and professional.
- Knowledgeable doctors: One reviewer mentioned that the doctor they saw was friendly and knowledgeable, which is an important factor in choosing an eye care center.
- Accessible appointments: One reviewer mentioned that the eye care center was able to find an appointment for them, which suggests that they have availability for patients seeking eye care.
1426 Altamont Ave Suite 1, Schenectady, NY 12303
Customers report satisfaction with the thorough eye exams, knowledgeable opticians who assist with frames and insurance, and efficient replacement of damaged glasses at this eye care center. The doctors receive acclaim for detecting serious issues and arranging specialized follow-up care. Some complaints surface regarding the perceived rude and unhelpful front desk staff. Overall, customers speak positively of the customer service and quality of care.
- Excellent customer service: The staff at this eye care center is praised for their friendly and helpful attitude. They provide thorough explanations during the eye exam and assist in frame selection, as well as help apply insurance benefits to cover the bill.
- Knowledgeable and thorough doctors: The doctors at this location are highly skilled and thorough in conducting eye exams. They use up-to-date equipment and are commended for detecting and addressing potential issues, such as retinal tears, that could have a significant impact on vision.
- Convenient and efficient service: Patients appreciate the convenience of having comprehensive eye exams, including glaucoma tests and retinal photos, all in one visit. The staff also ensures quick turnaround times for glasses and lenses, even accommodating special requests like providing sunglasses for bright conditions.
Guilderland Vision Care
2050 Western Ave, Guilderland, NY 12084
Guilderland Vision Care earns praise for their attentive service and comprehensive exams. Patients say Dr. McCann and staff provide personalized care for all ages. However, some cite appointment delays and frame pricing. Overall, this practice is a top choice for discerning patients seeking exceptional eye care.
- Dr. McCann and her staff are highly praised for their kindness, patience, and care towards patients, including children.
- The office is known for providing a family-friendly environment, where staff engage with kids and provide gentle and tender care.
- Patients have commended the staff for being attentive, prepared, and accommodating, as well as maintaining excellent COVID precautions.
Schenectady Eyecare & Eyewear (Dr. Todd Pereira)
1417 Union St, Schenectady, NY 12308
This eye care center provides thorough, accurate eye exams resulting in spot-on prescriptions. The helpful staff assists patients in finding suitable glasses and delivers exceptional service in a pleasant, comfortable office environment. Patients highlight the practice's personalized attention and expertise with various eye conditions.
- Best eye care: Many reviewers mentioned that they had the best eye exam and that their prescriptions were spot on. They also appreciated the staff's help in picking out glasses they were happy with.
- Excellent customer service: Several reviewers praised the staff for being extremely nice, helpful, and personable. They also appreciated the office's convenient hours and its responsiveness in handling their concerns and issues.
Burnt Hills Optical
793 NY-50, Burnt Hills, NY 12027
Burnt Hills Optical earns glowing reviews for knowledgeable, thorough eye exams and friendly, helpful staff. Customers praise the personal service, attention to detail, convenience, and speed. Their extensive frame selection draws acclaim. However, one customer reported multiple issues with broken glasses.
- Knowledgeable and thorough eye exams: The eye care center provides comprehensive eye exams and evaluates not only vision but also the health of the eyes. They even perform tests that some customers haven't had done before, ensuring a thorough examination.
- Excellent customer service: The staff at the eye care center is described as friendly, professional, and helpful. Customers appreciate the personal touch and feel valued as individuals rather than just customers. Additionally, they provide prompt and efficient service, addressing customers' needs quickly and effectively.
- Wide selection of frames and eyewear: The eye care center has an extensive collection of frames, offering customers a variety of choices when selecting new glasses. The staff takes the time to help customers find the perfect fit and style, ensuring customer satisfaction.
All About Eyes
873 NY-146, Clifton Park, NY 12065
The eye care center is highly regarded for its friendly, attentive staff and Dr. Jeff Starr's thorough, clearly explained exams. Customers describe the office as accommodating and easy to access. While most find the glasses fairly priced with options, one felt they were overpriced. Patients overwhelmingly recommend the excellent doctors and staff.
- Friendly and attentive staff: Reviewers consistently mention that the staff at this eye care center is friendly, helpful, and attentive. They make an effort to make patients feel comfortable and appreciated.
- Knowledgeable and thorough doctor: The optometrist, Dr. Starr, is highly praised for his expertise and professionalism. He takes the time to explain conditions and treatment options clearly, ensuring patients feel confident in their care.
- Personalized and patient-centered approach: Reviewers appreciate that Dr. Starr involves patients in their own eye care, asking about their experiences and providing multiple options for moving forward. This shows a commitment to personalized care and treating the root of the problem rather than just the symptoms.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in New York
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, a higher percentage of people aged 65 and older in New York experienced blindness or difficulty seeing compared to those aged 40-64. in New York, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in New York
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in New York.
- The The percentage of people in New York that were blind or had difficulty seeing in 2018 was significantly higher for those with diabetes, with a 12.1% rate compared to the overall rate of 5.41%, indicating that diabetes increases the risk of vision problems by more than double in that state. and The percentage of people in New York who smoked tobacco and had difficulty seeing in 2018 was higher than the overall percentage of people who had difficulty seeing, indicating that smoking may increase the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 2.84%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in New York
- In New York, 5.41% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in New York
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 3.12% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 5.82% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in New York face even higher rates at 8.75%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in New York
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in New York.
- 12.1% of those with diabetes and 8.25% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in New York
- Early vision care is crucial, with 73.71% of children in New York having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 1.46% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in New York
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 5.41% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in New York.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.