Best Eye Doctors In Albany, NY
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Albany Optometrists in Albany, Albany, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Albany reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Albany.
12 Corporate Woods Blvd, Albany, NY 12211
This eye care center receives consistent praise for its friendly and knowledgeable staff, quick and painless surgery, and impressive results, with most patients noticing improved vision the day after their procedure. Though some patients report minor post-operative discomfort and dryness, the overwhelming consensus is that this is a top provider of LASIK surgery.
- Fast and efficient service: Many reviewers mention that they were able to schedule their appointments quickly and that the process, from consultation to surgery, was fast and smooth. They also appreciate the minimal wait times and efficient workflows of the staff.
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff: The staff at the eye care center are described as friendly, comforting, and knowledgeable. They make an effort to answer all questions and address any concerns, helping to ease anxiety about the procedures.
- Life-changing results: Numerous reviewers express their satisfaction and joy with the results of the eye exams and procedures. They mention improved vision, freedom from glasses and contacts, and a positive impact on their daily lives.
Albany Eye Associates
63 Shaker Rd Ste 101, Albany, NY 12204
The eye care center receives largely positive feedback for their professional, thorough staff and personalized attention during comprehensive exams. Patients feel respected by the doctors. However, one review mentioned a negative experience with a technician during a child's exam, saying trust was not established.
- The entire process, from check-in to the eye exam, ran smoothly and the staff was courteous and professional.
- Patients appreciated the thoroughness of their eye exams and the attention to detail, including taking the prescription two times to ensure accuracy.
- There was no pressure to purchase glasses at this practice, and patients were able to receive their pupilary distances without hassle.
Greenbush Eye Center
749 Columbia Turnpike, East Greenbush, NY 12061
The Greenbush Eye Center receives high marks for its thorough and professional eye exams, glasses selection, and attentive doctors. Customers note some difficulties scheduling appointments and occasional rushed visits. However, most enthusiastically recommend Greenbush for its convenient services and knowledgeable staff.
- Thorough and complete eye exams, ensuring that customers' eyes are well cared for.
- Friendly and professional staff who provide expert care and address customers' vision needs.
- State-of-the-art facility with convenient services, including ordering glasses and receiving automatic appointment reminders.
Doctors of Optometry - Colonie Center
449 Colonie Center, Albany, NY 12205
The eye care center provides thorough eye exams and helpful service in selecting eyewear. While most patients are satisfied, some have encountered issues with prescription changes and unengaged doctors. The center offers a wide selection of frames and takes time to educate patients.
- Thorough eye exams and addressing any questions or concerns.
- Helpful and friendly staff in assisting with selecting and purchasing glasses.
- Knowledgeable and pleasant optometrists who take their time to explain options and ensure customer satisfaction.
Perlmutter Eye Center - Customized Cataract Surgery, Glaucoma, Retina Specialist Care
35 Hackett Blvd #236, Albany, NY 12208
Reviews mention excellent care from Drs. Perlmutter, especially for cataract surgeries, with personalized explanations. However, some cite issues like long waits, unprofessional staff, billing problems, and disappointing experiences with Dr. David Perlmutter. The Clifton Park office receives better reviews.
- Highly skilled and knowledgeable doctors: Both Dr. Lawrence Perlmutter and Dr. David Perlmutter are praised for their expertise in eye care, specifically in areas such as cataract surgery and astigmatism correction. Patients appreciate their clear explanations of treatment options and their dedication to finding the best solution for their vision.
- Excellent patient care and communication: Dr. David Perlmutter goes above and beyond for his patients, personally calling them the evening of their surgery to check in and address any concerns. The staff at the Perlmutter Eye Center is described as courteous, professional, and eager to make patients feel comfortable and well-cared for.
- Positive surgical outcomes: Many patients report successful cataract surgery with improved vision, even after previously suffering from presbyopia or other eye issues. They credit Dr. David Perlmutter for his skill as a surgeon and the comprehensive care provided by the center.
291 New Scotland Ave, Albany, NY 12208
Customers highly praise Sheehy Opticians for attentive service, fast wait times, same-day glasses, expertise, reasonable prices, and quick repairs, though one mentioned potential discrimination. Reviews overwhelmingly positive.
- Remarkable customer service: Multiple reviewers praise the exceptional customer service at this eye care center, highlighting the kind and informative staff, fast wait times, and personalized attention.
- Convenient and efficient: Reviewers mention that they were able to get their prescription glasses on the same day of their eye exams, which is uncommon at other chain store optical shops. The eye care center also offers fast turn-around times for repairs and adjustments.
- Knowledgeable and detailed eye exams: Customers appreciate the thoroughness and expertise of the eye exams, with the opticians taking the time to explain the results and provide personalized advice for maximizing insurance benefits. The staff is described as friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive to detail.
Elhosn Eye & Aesthetics
4 Executive Park Dr, Albany, NY 12203
The eye care center receives overwhelmingly positive reviews for Dr. Elhosn's professional and caring staff. Patients describe thorough medical exams in a supportive environment. Many enthusiastically recommend the center for medical and aesthetic eye services. With its focus on comprehensive eye care, the center comes highly recommended.
- Highly recommended for eye exams and eye care - Dr. Elhosn and his staff are praised for their professionalism, expertise, and the quality of their procedures.
- Excellent patient care and personalized approach - Patients appreciate that the doctors take the time to listen, explain everything clearly, and provide practical solutions. The staff is welcoming, accommodating, and puts the patient's needs first.
- Comfortable atmosphere and minimal wait times - The office is known for its pleasant atmosphere and efficient service, ensuring a positive experience for patients.
65 Wolf Rd Suite 106, Albany, NY 12205
Customers appreciate the thorough and friendly service from Dr. Vyong, Dr. Hunt-Moriarty, and the knowledgeable staff. A few reviews mentioned rushed appointments, billing issues, and insurance participation problems.
- No pressure to purchase glasses: Customers appreciate that this eye care center does not push them to buy glasses from their facility, allowing them to get an exam and prescription without feeling obligated to make a purchase.
- Thorough and attentive eye exams: Multiple reviewers mention the thoroughness and attentiveness of the optometrists at this location. Customers feel that their eye exams are comprehensive and are given ample time to discuss any concerns or questions they may have.
Buenau’s Opticians, Inc.
228 Delaware Ave, Delmar, NY 12054
Buenau's Opticians provides comprehensive eye exams by knowledgeable doctors who take time to explain conditions and address concerns. Patients appreciate the professionalism and excellent customer service of the entire staff. As a longstanding family-owned business, Buenau's is committed to quality care.
- Comprehensive and thorough eye exams: Many reviewers praised the eye care center for providing the most comprehensive and thorough eye exams they have ever received.
- Friendly and professional staff: Multiple reviewers mentioned that the staff at the eye care center is friendly, personable, and professional, creating a positive and welcoming atmosphere.
- Cutting-edge equipment and knowledgeable doctors: A few reviewers highlighted the use of cutting-edge equipment during their eye exams and appreciated the doctors' expertise and willingness to explain conditions and address concerns.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in New York
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, a higher percentage of people aged 65 and older in New York experienced blindness or difficulty seeing compared to those aged 40-64. in New York, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in New York
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in New York.
- The The percentage of people in New York that were blind or had difficulty seeing in 2018 was significantly higher for those with diabetes, with a 12.1% rate compared to the overall rate of 5.41%, indicating that diabetes increases the risk of vision problems by more than double in that state. and The percentage of people in New York who smoked tobacco and had difficulty seeing in 2018 was higher than the overall percentage of people who had difficulty seeing, indicating that smoking may increase the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 2.84%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in New York
- In New York, 5.41% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in New York
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 3.12% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 5.82% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in New York face even higher rates at 8.75%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in New York
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in New York.
- 12.1% of those with diabetes and 8.25% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in New York
- Early vision care is crucial, with 73.71% of children in New York having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 1.46% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in New York
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 5.41% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in New York.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.