Best Eye Doctors In Michigan City, IN
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Michigan City Optometrists in Michigan City, Michigan City, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Michigan City reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Michigan City.
3701 Franklin St, Michigan City, IN 46360
This eye care center receives mostly positive feedback for their friendly staff, quick appointments, and good service. However, some customers report high exam prices, issues with contact lens orders, inaccurate prescriptions, and low quality frames.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Many reviewers mention that the staff at this eye care center is welcoming, friendly, and eager to help. This creates a pleasant and comfortable experience for patients.
- Convenient online appointment booking: One reviewer mentions that they appreciate the easy online appointment booking system, which allows them to schedule their eye exams without having to wait for weeks or months. This helps patients to get the care they need in a timely manner.
- Knowledgeable and thorough doctor: Several reviewers praise the doctors at this eye care center for their expertise and thoroughness during eye exams. This ensures that patients receive comprehensive care and have their questions answered.
Retina Vitreous Associates
2000 Franklin St, Michigan City, IN 46360
Patients generally find the doctors at this eye care center professional, knowledgeable, and thorough. Drs. Chasan and Vyas receive particular praise. The office is clean and organized with a friendly, helpful staff. Some patients describe positive experiences with treatments and surgeries. However, a few mention long waits and a doctor with an unpleasant manner.
- Knowledgeable and professional doctors: Multiple reviews mention that both Dr. Chasan and Dr. Vyas are knowledgeable, thorough, and trustworthy in their approach to eye care and eye exams.
- Friendly and efficient staff: The office staff, including nurses and receptionists, are frequently praised for their friendliness, professionalism, and the thoroughness of the examination process.
- Comfortable and pleasant experience: Many reviews note that the overall experience at the eye care center is comfortable, reassuring, and efficient, with minimal wait times and a caring approach to patient care.
Duneland Family Eyecare
101 Beverly Dr c, Chesterton, IN 46304
Duneland Family Eyecare is lauded for their friendly, professional service in a clean, organized office. Patients commend the attentive, knowledgeable doctors. The practice offers a kid-friendly environment. However, one customer reported an unresolved issue with their glasses. Overall, Duneland Family Eyecare comes highly recommended for eye care needs.
- Friendly and professional staff: Multiple reviews mention the friendly and helpful demeanor of the staff at Duneland Family Eyecare. They make patients feel comfortable and provide thorough explanations during the eye exams.
- Family-oriented: The eye care center is described as family-friendly, with a play area for kids and a welcoming atmosphere for all members of the family. The staff is attentive to the needs of children and goes the extra mile to ensure a positive experience for everyone.
- Clean and well-equipped facility: Several reviews mention the cleanliness of the office and the quality of the equipment used during the eye exams. Patients feel safe and satisfied with the level of cleanliness and modern technology available at Duneland Family Eyecare.
Midwest Eye Consultants
2317 Franklin St, Michigan City, IN 46360
The first review objects to the required diabetic eye exam and additional fee, implying the policy is profit-driven. The second praises the courteous, friendly, and efficient staff, thorough exams, and prompt service filling glasses prescriptions. The final review decries poor customer service, long appointment wait times, and difficulty rescheduling.
- Thorough eye exams with everything explained clearly and a quick turnaround on getting glasses.
- Courteous and friendly staff who are great with patients of all ages.
- Very knowledgeable and helpful doctors and technicians who provide excellent care.
Schererville Eye Care & Contact Lens Clinic
210 Indianapolis Blvd B, Schererville, IN 46375
Patients describe the staff at this eye care center as helpful, patient, and knowledgeable, with courteous doctors who take the time to clearly explain test results. The front desk and optometrists receive particular praise. Patients report thorough, professional eye exams and minimal wait times. The overall experience is overwhelmingly positive.
- The staff is helpful, patient, and accommodating. They go above and beyond to make sure patients get the right contact lenses and understand their results.
- The doctors have great bedside manner and take the time to explain everything in detail. They are courteous, professional, and make patients feel comfortable throughout the visit.
- The office is clean and the staff is friendly and efficient. Wait times are minimal, and the doctors are conversational, not rushing patients through the process.
528 Indian Boundary Rd, Chesterton, IN 46304
The eye care center receives mostly positive feedback for convenient appointment scheduling, knowledgeable doctors, and attentive staff. However, some reviews cite scheduling problems, discourteous staff, and account issues. In general, customers value the eye care center for quality service, comprehensive eye exams, and frame selection.
- Easy scheduling and accommodating to families with back-to-back appointments, making it convenient for multiple family members to get eye exams.
- Knowledgeable and friendly doctors who provide thorough and detailed examinations, ensuring a positive experience for patients.
- Free cleansing cloths and lens spray available for keeping glasses clean, adding value to the overall eye care service.
Deen-Gross Eye Centers
303 W 89th Ave # E4, Merrillville, IN 46410
Patients appreciate Dr. David Gross’s professionalism, surgical skills, and clear explanations when undergoing cataract surgery and LASIK procedures at Deen-Gross Eye Center. Both office and surgical staff receive positive feedback for their efficiency and kindness. While some note longer wait times due to a busy clinic, patients overwhelmingly recommend Dr. Gross and his team.
- Highly skilled and caring optometrists, particularly Dr. David Gross and Dr. Jeffrey Nelson, who provide excellent eye care and perform successful surgeries, including cataract and Lasik procedures.
- The staff, including receptionists and healthcare professionals like Sandra, are friendly, patient, and go above and beyond to provide exceptional customer service, making the overall experience positive for patients.
- The office is well-run, with efficient appointment scheduling and minimal wait times. The team communicates well, explains procedures thoroughly, and addresses any concerns or questions patients may have, ensuring a comfortable and informed experience.
Douglas J. Van Putten, M.D., F.A.C.S
8865 W 400 N Suite 170, Michigan City, IN 46360
Dr. Van Putten comes highly recommended for his surgical skills and compassionate care. Patients report successful outcomes with minimal discomfort. His staff provides skilled, kind service in a comfortable environment.
- Highly skilled and experienced surgeon: Dr. Van Putten is praised for his excellent surgical skills and ability to perform procedures with minimal bruising, swelling, and discomfort. Patients appreciate his expertise and the positive results they achieve.
- Caring and attentive staff: The Woodland Surgery Center, where Dr. Van Putten performs surgeries, is commended for its kind, conscientious, and skilled staff. Patients feel well taken care of and appreciate the compassionate and reassuring nature of the surgical team.
- Positive aesthetic outcomes: Many patients mention the improved appearance they achieve through procedures performed by Dr. Van Putten. From eyelid surgeries to botox and filler injections, patients report looking more youthful and beautiful as a result of their treatments.
2701 Franklin St, Michigan City, IN 46360
Dunes Optical receives mostly positive feedback for their kind, helpful staff and thorough eye exams. Customers appreciate the quick service and assistance finding glasses, as well as convenient checkup reminders. Some negative reviews cite long wait times, appointment cancellations, limited insurance coverage, and difficulty reaching staff by phone. However, many loyal customers plan to continue receiving care at Dunes Optical despite these concerns.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Multiple reviews mention the staff at Dunes Optical being helpful, kind, and treating patients like family.
- Efficient service: Reviewers appreciate the quick and efficient service they received, whether it was fixing their glasses or getting their contacts refilled promptly.
- Thorough eye exams: Several reviews highlight the thoroughness of the eye exams at Dunes Optical, with one reviewer noting it was the most thorough exam they have ever had.
422 Perry St, La Porte, IN 46350
Patients were pleased with the friendly, knowledgeable staff at the eye care center, singling out Dr. Gring for providing a great experience. They appreciated the professional and prompt service from doctors and reasonable frame prices. Staff like Alexus King earned compliments for their helpfulness. Quick glasses turnaround and ample frame selection were also positives noted in reviews.
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff: Multiple reviews mention the staff being polite, friendly, and helpful throughout the visit, making patients feel welcome and attended to.
- Efficient service: Many customers praise the quick turnaround time for both eye exams and receiving their glasses or frames, with some even mentioning receiving their glasses within a week of ordering.
- Great selection of frames: Several reviews highlight the wide range and affordability of frame options available at the eye care center, making it convenient for customers to find stylish eyewear.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in Indiana
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, 6.42% of people aged 40-64 and 8.25% of people aged 65+ in Indiana were blind or had difficulty seeing. in Indiana, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in Indiana
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in Indiana.
- The In Indiana in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was significantly higher among those with diabetes (12.3%) compared to the overall population (5.27%), indicating that having diabetes increases the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 7 percentage points. and In Indiana in 2018, the percentage of people who smoked tobacco and had difficulty seeing was slightly higher than the overall percentage of people who had difficulty seeing, indicating that smoking may slightly increase the risk of vision problems in that state. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in Indiana
- In Indiana, 5.27% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in Indiana
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 2.37% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 6.42% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in Indiana face even higher rates at 8.25%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in Indiana
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in Indiana.
- 12.3% of those with diabetes and 6.59% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in Indiana
- Early vision care is crucial, with 67.44% of children in Indiana having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 1.85% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in Indiana
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 5.27% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in Indiana.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.