Best Eye Doctors In Columbus, IN
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Columbus Optometrists in Columbus, Columbus, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Columbus reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Columbus.
Dr. Tavel Family Eye Care
2440 N National Rd, Columbus, IN 47201
While most customers complimented the friendly staff and efficient exams, some mentioned unhelpful doctors, prescription issues, and insurance difficulties. Proceed with caution if those concerns are important.
- Responsive and efficient eye examination process.
- Friendly and helpful staff, quick and painless eye exams.
Seymour Eye Clinic
300 W 2nd St, Seymour, IN 47274
Dr. Wahl and Dr. Frische of Seymour Eye Clinic excel at making children comfortable during exams. Their expertise diagnosing conditions and crafting treatment plans earns them glowing reviews. Patients often compliment the clinic’s friendly, attentive staff.
- Highly recommended: Dr. Wahl is great with kids and provides a very good experience for first-time eye exams. The office staff is also friendly and helpful.
- Thorough and knowledgeable: Dr. Frische and the staff at Seymour Eye Clinic provide thorough eye exams and take the time to explain everything in detail. They are also knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to selecting frames and answering questions.
- Caring and patient: Dr. Frische is patient with kids and special needs patients, making the experience comfortable for all. The staff is also polite, caring, and attentive, providing excellent service overall.
Pankratz Eye Institute
3135 Middle Drive, Columbus, IN 47203
This eye care center receives glowing reviews for its friendly, professional staff and knowledgeable, skilled doctors who provide quality care. Patients describe the facility as clean and comfortable. Many are pleased with procedures like eye exams, LASIK surgery, and cataract surgery. This is a recommended eye care center based on overwhelmingly positive customer feedback.
- Friendly and professional staff - Multiple reviews highlight the friendly and professional nature of the staff, making patients feel comfortable and well taken care of during their eye exams and treatments.
- Thorough and attentive examinations - Reviewers mention that the eye exams at this center are thorough and careful, indicating that the doctors take their time to ensure comprehensive eye care.
- Compassionate and skilled doctors - The doctors at this eye care center are described as compassionate, skilled, and knowledgeable. They provide both medical and surgical eye care, making them a reliable choice for a range of eye-related needs.
Dr. Blair Boehmer
3135 Middle Dr, Columbus, IN 47203
Dr. Boehmer’s patients speak highly of his clear explanations and Spanish fluency. His professional yet kind demeanor puts patients at ease, and he takes time to answer questions. Though some patients experienced longer waits, most found the staff competent, friendly, and adept at providing a comfortable experience.
- Dr. Blair Boehmer is highly praised for his ability to explain eye exam results in a simple and understandable manner.
- Dr. Boehmer is known for his professionalism, kindness, and thoroughness in conducting eye exams.
- The staff, including Dr. Boehmer, are friendly, caring, and competent, making patients feel comfortable during their visits.
Coers Family Eyecare
2525 California St STE G, Columbus, IN 47201
The eye care center receives glowing feedback for its warm, attentive staff and Dr. Coers’ meticulous eye exams. Patients describe a tidy, well-run office where personnel patiently address all inquiries. This highly recommended practice comes highly recommended for meeting eye care needs.
- Friendly and helpful staff who answer all questions and provide thorough information during eye exams.
- Dr. Coers is thorough and takes his time during eye exams, ensuring a comprehensive experience.
- The office is welcoming and the staff is friendly, making patients feel comfortable throughout their visit.
1130 Washington St, Columbus, IN 47201
The first review criticizes the practice for not processing insurance, requiring unnecessary exams, and aggressively pursuing payment. The second praises Dr. Almarales’ thorough eye exams and the professional, friendly staff. The third applauds the helpful, friendly staff and affordable, cutting-edge glasses and contacts.
- Thorough eye exams by knowledgeable doctors: Several reviews mention that the eye exams at this center are thorough and extensive, conducted by experienced doctors who take their time and provide informative explanations.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Many reviewers mention the friendly and helpful staff at this eye care center. From receptionists to opticians, the staff is described as professional, accommodating, and willing to answer questions and provide assistance.
- State-of-the-art technology and up-to-date equipment: According to multiple reviews, this eye care center uses modern, up-to-date technology for their eye exams. The equipment is described as advanced and not outdated, ensuring a comprehensive and accurate examination.
America’s Best Contacts & Eyeglasses
3160 Columbus Center, Columbus, IN 47203
The eye care center receives mostly positive feedback for professionalism, thorough exams, friendly staff, and helpful frames. Customers highlight excellent service from opticians like Katherine. A few negative reviews cite issues with customer service, pricing errors, and unhelpful pre-exam staff.
- Professional and friendly staff: Multiple reviews mentioned that the employees at this eye care center were professional, knowledgeable, and friendly, providing a positive experience during eye exams and frame selection.
- Thorough eye exams: According to one review, the eye exam at this location was described as thorough, indicating a comprehensive assessment of eye health and vision.
- Helpful in frame selection: Several reviews noted that the staff, particularly Katherine, provided excellent assistance in selecting the perfect glasses, ensuring a satisfactory choice for customers.
Precision Eye Group
1413 Washington St, Columbus, IN 47201
Dr. Deak receives consistent positive feedback for her professional, helpful approach to eye care. Patients describe a friendly staff who explain procedures in detail and utilize advanced technology. Her office provides a peaceful environment and prompt appointments in a convenient location. Patients strongly recommend Dr. Deak for her excellent eye care services.
- Professional and helpful staff
- Dr. Deak provides great care and answers all questions
- They have cute eyeglasses designs
- They explain insurance copays and coverage
- Friendly, flexible, and helpful staff
- High-end technology used for retinal imagery
- Detailed after-visit notes
- Clean and peaceful office environment
- Accommodate patients on emergency basis
- Pleasant and professional staff
- Efficient doctor and on-time appointments
- Great help with selecting frames for glasses and sunglasses
- Thorough and excellent care provided
- Doctors go above and beyond for patients
- Caring and kind employees
Columbus Optical Services
2475 Cottage Ave, Columbus, IN 47201
The eye care center receives mixed reviews. While some patients express frustration with additional services required during exams that may not be covered by insurance, others report satisfactory experiences, citing friendly staff, thorough eye exams, and assistance choosing glasses.
- Convenient location and hours: The eye care center is in a great location and offers convenient hours, making it easy to schedule appointments.
- Knowledgeable and friendly staff: Many reviewers mention that the staff at the center are knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. They feel well taken care of during their eye exams and appreciate the level of care provided.
- In-house glasses production: The center offers the convenience of making eyeglasses on the spot, which means customers can get their glasses quickly without having to wait for an extended period of time.
Kelley Deak, OD
1413 Washington St, Columbus, IN 47201
Dr. Deak’s friendly and engaging manner provides an excellent patient experience, from scheduling to selecting new eyewear. Her staff, especially Heather the optician, are wonderful to work with.
- Dr. Deak provides excellent eye care for the whole family.
- The office staff is friendly and a pleasure to work with.
- Heather, the optician, is wonderful for helping customers with new glasses.
2750 Central Ave, Columbus, IN 47201
The eye care center received positive feedback. Patients appreciated the doctor’s expertise and staff’s friendliness.
- Friendly and knowledgeable staff: The reviews consistently mention the friendly and helpful staff at the eye care center. This suggests that patients can expect a welcoming and professional atmosphere during their visit.
- Experienced and skilled optometrist: The positive feedback about the doctor indicates their expertise and competence in providing eye care. This suggests that patients can trust the optometrist to deliver thorough and high-quality eye exams.
Wagers Family Eye Care
51 Chestnut St #3, Nashville, IN 47448
This eye care center provides excellent service in a friendly family atmosphere. Patients praise the helpful staff and short wait times. Dr. Wagers comes highly recommended as the best optometrist in town. Stylish eyewear frames are available to order.
- Friendly and helpful staff create a great family atmosphere
- Dr. Wagers is highly recommended as the best optometrist in town
- Short wait times ensure a prompt and efficient experience
Midwest Eye Consultants
2750 Central Ave, Columbus, IN 47201
The eye care center receives mostly positive reviews for thorough exams and helpful staff. Drs. Irons, Lehman, and Harris earn high marks for friendliness and quality care. A few reviews cite issues with optical staff or service. One patient reported an especially disappointing visit with Dr. Henry, who they felt dismissed their vision concerns.
- Convenient location with a bus stop nearby.
- Thorough and detailed eye exams.
- Friendly and patient staff who answer all questions and provide helpful suggestions.
- Kind and accommodating service, especially for children.
- Clean and well-maintained office.
- Wide selection of frames to choose from.
- Competitive prices for glasses.
- Knowledgeable and professional doctors.
- Dr. Henry is compassionate, understanding, and keeps up with the latest procedures and medications.
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in Indiana
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, 6.42% of people aged 40-64 and 8.25% of people aged 65+ in Indiana were blind or had difficulty seeing. in Indiana, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in Indiana
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in Indiana.
- The In Indiana in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was significantly higher among those with diabetes (12.3%) compared to the overall population (5.27%), indicating that having diabetes increases the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 7 percentage points. and In Indiana in 2018, the percentage of people who smoked tobacco and had difficulty seeing was slightly higher than the overall percentage of people who had difficulty seeing, indicating that smoking may slightly increase the risk of vision problems in that state. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in Indiana
- In Indiana, 5.27% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in Indiana
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 2.37% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 6.42% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in Indiana face even higher rates at 8.25%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in Indiana
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in Indiana.
- 12.3% of those with diabetes and 6.59% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in Indiana
- Early vision care is crucial, with 67.44% of children in Indiana having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 1.85% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in Indiana
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 5.27% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in Indiana.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.