Best LASIK Surgeon In Homewood, AL
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed 107 LASIK Surgeons in Homewood, AL, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze 7759 reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best LASIK surgeon in Homewood.
The LASIK Vision Institute
3595 Grandview Pkwy Suite #125, Birmingham, AL 35243
The reviews for the lasik surgeon practice are overwhelmingly positive. Patients praise the friendly and helpful staff, quick and seamless process, and affordable prices. Many former glasses and contact wearers express their satisfaction with the surgery, noting improved vision and a life-changing experience. Some highlight the professionalism and expertise of the doctors, while others appreciate the thorough explanations and attentive care provided throughout the process. Overall, the reviews indicate high levels of satisfaction and recommend the practice to others.
- Friendly and professional staff: Multiple reviews mentioned the friendly and helpful staff, making patients feel comfortable and at ease throughout the process.
- Excellent results: Many reviewers reported great success with their lasik surgery and a significant improvement in their vision, with some achieving 20/15 vision or better. They expressed satisfaction with the outcome of the procedure.
- Quick and efficient process: Numerous reviews praised the speed and efficiency of the lasik surgery process, from quick appointments to a painless and quick procedure. Some mentioned being able to schedule their surgery the same week as their consultation.
Michelson Laser Vision, Inc.
1201 11th Ave S #501, Birmingham, AL 35205
Patients have had overwhelmingly positive experiences with Michelson Laser Vision. They praise the friendly and caring staff, the professionalism of the doctors, and the skilled surgeons. Many patients express gratitude for the life-changing results of their LASIK or PRK procedures, reporting improved vision and the ability to see without glasses or contacts. The thoroughness of the exams and the informative explanations provided by the staff are also frequently mentioned as positive aspects of their experience.
- Highly skilled and experienced surgeons: Multiple reviews mention the expertise of Dr. Mark Michelson and Dr. Jennifer Michelson, emphasizing their successful surgeries and excellent results. Patients appreciate their thoroughness in explaining the procedure and honest approach to risk assessment.
- Friendly and caring staff: Several reviews highlight the warm and friendly staff at Michelson Laser Vision. Patients mention feeling welcomed, supported, and comfortable throughout the entire process. The staff goes above and beyond to answer questions, address concerns, and provide a positive experience.
- Life-changing results: Numerous patients express their delight and gratitude for the life-changing results they achieved after undergoing LASIK or PRK at Michelson Laser Vision. Many report improved vision, including exceeding their expectations with 20/15 or 20/20 vision. The positive impact on their daily lives, eliminating the need for glasses or contacts, is noted as a significant benefit.
- Overall, the key pros of Michelson Laser Vision based on the reviews are skilled surgeons, a caring staff, and transformative results.
VisionFirst Eye Center
1 W Lakeshore Dr Suite 220, Birmingham, AL 35209
Overall, the reviews for the lasik surgeon practice are mostly positive. Patients praise the friendly and professional staff, including Dr. Doss and Dr. Hebson. The thoroughness and care provided during appointments are also appreciated. However, there are a few negative comments about difficulty reaching the office by phone and some issues with the front desk staff. Despite this, the majority of reviewers are happy with their experiences and would recommend the practice to others.
- Pleasant and friendly staff: Multiple reviews mentioned that the staff at the lasik surgeon practice is pleasant, friendly, and helpful. Patients felt comfortable and welcomed during their visits.
- Knowledgeable and professional doctors: Several reviews praised the doctors at the practice for being knowledgeable, caring, and thorough. Patients felt confident in the care they received and appreciated the personalized attention.
- Excellent results: Many reviews expressed satisfaction with the results of their lasik surgery. Patients reported improved vision and were pleased with the outcome of their procedures.
- Overall, the pros of this lasik surgeon practice are a pleasant and friendly staff, knowledgeable and professional doctors, and excellent results.
Alabama Eye & Cataract Center, PC
1201 11th Ave S #501, Birmingham, AL 35205
Patients consistently praise Dr. Jennifer Michelson and her staff at Alabama Eye and Cataract Center for their thorough evaluations, excellent bedside manners, and ability to explain procedures and answer questions. Many individuals recommend Dr. Michelson for cataract surgery, citing the amazing results and improved vision they experienced. The overall experience at the practice is described as welcoming, professional, and efficient, with a knowledgeable and friendly staff.
- Thorough evaluation and personalized care: The doctors and technicians at the practice take the time to thoroughly evaluate each patient's situation and discuss care plan options, ensuring personalized and comprehensive care.
- Excellent bedside manners and patient communication: Dr. Jennifer Michelson is highly praised for her excellent bedside manners, clear and understandable explanations, and willingness to answer all questions and concerns. Patients appreciate her attentiveness and ability to make them feel comfortable.
- Professional and welcoming staff: The staff at Alabama Eye and Cataract Center is described as welcoming, friendly, and knowledgeable. Patients feel comfortable asking questions, and the staff provides non-condescending answers. The overall professionalism and patient-centered approach of the entire team is highly appreciated.
Is LASIK Safe?
LASIK eye surgery is safe. Thanks to the advancement in technology, serious complications are rare. The general complication rates of LASIK are between 1 and 1.8%.
What Makes a Good LASIK Candidate?
A person is a good candidate for LASIK if:
- They do not have any active eye infections, inflammations, or abrasions
- They do not have dry eyes
- They do not have any kind of eye disease that affects the cornea
- They have a prescription of -11.00 diopters of nearsightedness, +5.00 diopters of farsightedness, or 5.00 diopters of astigmatism
- Their corneal tissue is thick enough
- They are at least 18 years old
- Their vision has been stable for 1 to 2 years
- They have realistic expectations going into the surgery
Other Types of Eye Surgery
LASIK is not the only type of eye surgery you can get. Other types include:
PRK stands for photorefractive keratectomy. It’s another type of laser eye surgery that can correct:
- Myopia (nearsightedness)
- Hyperopia (farsightedness)
- Astigmatism (irregularly shaped cornea)
- Presbyopia (age-related farsightedness)
The procedure involves removing the outer surface of the cornea. A surgeon uses an ultraviolet (excimer) laser to reshape the cornea.
Surgeons recommend PRK if a person isn’t a good candidate for LASIK. Its recovery time is slightly longer than LASIK, although they both achieve the same goal.
Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE)
RLE is another type of eye surgery that corrects the same problems LASIK can. It involves removing a person’s natural lens, which is then replaced by an intraocular lens (IOL).
Candidates for RLE include:
- Those over the age of 40
- Those with refractive errors
- Those who are not candidates for LASIK
- Those who don’t want to use reading glasses or contact lenses
- Those who have early cataracts
The only way to remove cataracts is through surgery. There are two types of cataract surgery:
- Phacoemulsification procedure
- Laser cataract procedure
Phacoemulsification involves liquifying the cataract lens using ultrasound waves. The surgeon suctions the natural lens and replaces it with an artificial intraocular lens (IOL).
Laser cataract surgery involves using lasers to make precise incisions in the cornea. The surgeon then suctions out the natural lens in fragments.
Collagen Cross-Linking (CXL) for Keratoconus
Collagen cross-linking is a new surgical technique to treat keratoconus. It involves using special eye drops and ultraviolet light to strengthen the cornea’s collagen fibers.
The goal of this procedure is to prevent the progression of keratoconus. When the collagen fibers grow stronger, they stabilize the corneal tissue. It can also reduce or eliminate the need for a transplant.
Lifestyle lenses are also referred to as premium lenses. They are often used during cataract surgery when the natural lens is removed and replaced with artificial ones, the lifestyle lenses.
These lenses can also correct other eye problems, including:
Intacs® Corneal Implants for Keratoconus
Intacs® are also called intracorneal ring segments (ICRS). They’re thin, crescent-shaped rings made with biocompatible plastic material. It’s the same material used for IOLs.
Intacs® are inserted into the cornea to restore its normal shape. It can treat refractive errors and keratoconus.
Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS)
Minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS) treats glaucoma using small incisions and microscopic equipment. This kind of technology reduces risks during surgery.
In this article