Best Eye Doctors In Homewood, AL
Why trust us?
VisionCenter is committed to connecting patients to the best local healthcare providers. We reviewed Homewood Optometrists in Homewood, Homewood, and chose this list based on their:
- Qualifications and education
- Years of experience
- Reputation and resources
- Past customer experiences
We used AI technology to analyze Homewood reviews from Google, Yelp, and Facebook to find patients' favorite surgeons in the area. Our team then went through and hand picked our list of the best Optometrists in Homewood.
Michelson Laser Vision, Inc.
1201 11th Ave S #501, Birmingham, AL 35205
Michelson Laser Vision earns glowing patient reviews for its friendly, professional staff and expert eye doctors, who perform vision-improving LASIK surgery and comprehensive exams. Patients say they felt comfortable before and after procedures, which yielded amazing, life-changing results like clear vision without glasses.
- Highly recommended for laser vision surgery: Multiple reviewers mentioned their positive experiences with LASIK surgery at this eye care center. They praised the staff, doctors, and overall experience, highlighting improved vision and life-changing results.
- Thorough and professional eye exams: Reviewers appreciated the professionalism and thoroughness of the staff and doctors during their eye exams. They mentioned clear options for improving vision, state-of-the-art equipment, and a caring approach.
- Friendly and supportive staff: Many reviewers specifically mentioned the friendly and supportive staff at the eye care center. They felt welcomed, comforted, and guided throughout the entire process, from consultations to post-op appointments.
VisionFirst Eye Center
1 W Lakeshore Dr Suite 220, Birmingham, AL 35209
Overall, customers speak highly of the thorough eye exams and friendly staff at this eye care center. However, some experienced issues reaching the office and with specific doctors or front desk staff. Dr. Doss is regarded for her expertise and caring approach.
- Thorough and friendly eye exams for children
- Experienced and attentive staff providing excellent care
- Knowledgeable about insurance plans, including VSP
UAB Eye Care
1716 University Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35294
The eye care center is lauded for the professionalism, thoroughness, and caring approach of its doctors and staff. Patients report comprehensive exams that deliver accurate details on eye health, exceeding other offices. Trainees also earn acclaim for attentive expertise during examinations. Overall, reviews depict premium care, an amiable staff, and top-tier service.
- Thorough and comprehensive eye exams: Multiple reviews mention that the eye exams at this location are exceptionally thorough and comprehensive, providing patients with accurate and detailed results.
- Professional and caring staff: Reviewers praise the professionalism and caring nature of the staff, including both the optometrists and the students. They appreciate the level of care and attention they receive during their appointments.
- Excellent communication and explanation: Many reviewers mention that the staff takes the time to explain the procedures and findings during the eye exam, ensuring that patients understand what is being done and why. This helps alleviate any concerns and provides a positive overall experience.
Dry Eye Center of Alabama
3490 Independence Dr Ste 110, Birmingham, AL 35209
Patients speak highly of the eye care center’s welcoming staff, clean facilities, cutting-edge equipment, and knowledgeable doctors who take time to explain and ease concerns. Many share positive experiences receiving treatment for various eye conditions and recommend the center to others.
- The staff at Dry Eye Center of Alabama is welcoming, kind, and patient, making the experience comfortable for both children and adults.
- The facility is clean and spacious, and the equipment is state-of-the-art, ensuring a thorough and painless eye exam.
- The doctors, including Dr. Franklin and Dr. McKelvey, are knowledgeable, professional, and take the time to explain diagnoses and treatment options, making patients feel heard and understood.
- The center offers a variety of services, including treatments for dry eyes and specialized eye exams, making it a convenient and reliable option for ongoing eye care.
2737 US-280 Suite 191, Birmingham, AL 35223
Most customers had positive experiences at the eye care center, complimenting the friendly and thorough doctors and staff during exams. Ms. Bea and Kim were noted for their exceptional help with frame selection. However, some cited issues like pressure to make unnecessary purchases, hidden fees, poor glasses durability and customer service. In general, customers recommend the center for eye exams and frame selection.
- Friendly and helpful staff: Multiple reviewers mentioned that the staff at this eye care center were friendly, accommodating, and provided excellent assistance in selecting glasses and frames.
- Thorough eye exams: Several reviewers praised the thoroughness of the eye exams they received, noting that the doctors were detailed and took ample time to provide quality care.
- Efficient and prompt service: There were positive comments about the efficiency and promptness of the service, with reviewers mentioning that they were able to schedule appointments quickly and receive their glasses in a timely manner.
America’s Best Contacts & Eyeglasses
231 Lakeshore Pkwy, Homewood, AL 35209
Overall, this eye care center receives mostly positive feedback for their friendly, professional service and affordable, comprehensive eye exams, though some patients report inconsistent experiences depending on the doctor, long wait times, improperly fitted glasses, and prescription issues.
- Affordable prices for eye exams and glasses, with a good deal of 2 pairs of glasses and an eye exam for $69.95.
- The staff is friendly, respectful, and provides good customer service.
225 State Farm Pkwy Ste 109, Birmingham, AL 35209
Customers reported excellent experiences at EyeCare Associates in Homewood, with Dr. Vanoy receiving positive feedback for his thorough, knowledgeable, and personable manner during eye exams. The staff earned praise for their friendliness, helpfulness, and professionalism. Customers also appreciated the wide selection of frames and competitive pricing. While largely positive, there was one complaint regarding prescription accuracy and ordering glasses. Overall, this eye care center comes highly recommended.
- Dr. Vanoy is thorough, knowledgeable, and personable, making patients feel comfortable during the eye exam.
- The staff is friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about frames and lenses.
- The office provides a welcoming environment and offers great service, including precise fitting of contact lenses.
John S Owen MD
1 Independence Plaza suite 700, Birmingham, AL 35209
Dr. Owen comes highly recommended by longtime patients who consistently cite his expertise, attentiveness, and clear explanations during exams. His helpful, professional staff also draw positive reviews. Patients report great experiences under Dr. Owen’s care and high satisfaction with the service received.
- Dr. Owen is highly skilled and thorough in providing eye care and eye exams.
- The staff is caring, friendly, and always available to answer questions or address concerns.
- The office atmosphere is professional and welcoming, creating a pleasant experience for patients.
Mountain Brook Eye Care
921 Jemison Ln, Mountain Brook, AL 35223
Mountain Brook Eye Care earns high marks for their professional and knowledgeable staff, easy appointment scheduling, thorough eye exams, and extensive selection of eyewear. Customers particularly appreciate Dr. Edgerly’s expertise and the staff’s guidance in finding the right contact lenses.
- Easy scheduling for eye exams and great selection of frames
- Professional and thorough eye exams with updated equipment and options for contact lenses
Choosing the Right Eye Care Provider
The kind of eye doctor you should visit depends on your issues. You may need an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or both.
Optometrists provide primary eye care, including vision tests and prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. You may also visit an optometrist for eye infections or issues that don’t require surgery.
For more complicated issues, your optometrist can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialize in eye care. They can treat a broader range of medical conditions.
When choosing an eye care clinic, look for a place that can address your specific needs. You may ask your friends and family for recommendations. Reading reviews online and checking with your insurance company can also help you find the right provider.
Understanding Eye Conditions and Their Treatment
The most common eye problems include refractive errors, age-related macular degeneration, and cataracts. Symptoms of these eye conditions include blurred vision, headaches, and eye strain.
Once you experience severe pain in your eye, it’s important to visit an eye doctor immediately. Other symptoms, such as fever and eye discharge, may indicate a more severe infection. This is why seeking medical attention is essential if you experience these symptoms.
Treatment for eye conditions will vary depending on your symptoms. Eye doctors sometimes collaborate with other specialists to determine the best course of action.
Maintaining Your Vision Health
Proper care and prevention are the best ways to maintain your vision health. Here are some tips on how to ensure that your eyes stay in the best condition possible:
- Protective eyewear. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection outdoors or safety goggles when working with tools can prevent eye damage.
- Proper nutrition. Eating foods rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help you receive the proper nutrients to protect your eyes. Getting enough sleep and limiting alcohol consumption is also part of proper nutrition for eye care.
- Regular breaks from screens. Follow the 20-20-20 rule when working with screens. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Manage chronic conditions. Chronic conditions like diabetes and hypertension can also affect your eye health. Managing them can help decrease their effects on your eyes.
- Regular eye exams. Visiting your eye doctor regularly can help detect eye problems early on. If needed, they can provide proper treatment immediately to prevent further complications.
Eye Care Insurance and Managing Costs
Insurance companies vary in terms of coverage when it comes to eye care. Vision insurance is usually separate from general health insurance.
You can save money and avoid surprises by consulting your insurance provider regarding coverage. Ask about your coverage for eye examinations, contact lenses or glasses, and other treatments.
If you don’t have insurance, these financing options are available:
Vision Health Trends in Alabama
- Examining vision health as one ages reveals In 2018, a higher percentage of people aged 40-64 in Alabama reported being blind or having difficulty seeing compared to those aged 65 and older. in Alabama, signaling the need for proactive eye care.
Risk Factors Impacting Vision in Alabama
- A family history of eye issues, diabetes, and alcoholism can all influence vision health in Alabama.
- The In Alabama in 2018, the percentage of people who were blind or had difficulty seeing was higher among those with diabetes (11.8%) compared to the overall population (6.41%), indicating that having diabetes increases the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 5.4%. and In Alabama in 2018, the percentage of people who smoked tobacco and had difficulty seeing was higher (11.3%) than the overall percentage of people who had difficulty seeing (6.41%), indicating that smoking increases the risk of vision problems in that state by approximately 5%. statistics underscore the impact of these factors on vision health.
Vision Impairment Statistics in Alabama
- In Alabama, 6.41% of individuals report significant vision impairment, with specific age groups reporting varying degrees of difficulty.
Age-Specific Vision Challenges in Alabama
- Amongst those aged 18 to 39, 3.36% experience vision difficulties.
- The percentage increases to 8.52% in the 40-64 age range.
- Seniors over 65 in Alabama face even higher rates at 7.5%.
Addressing Vision Health Beyond Age in Alabama
- Other factors such as diabetes and smoking contribute to vision impairment in Alabama.
- 11.8% of those with diabetes and 11.3% of smokers report difficulty seeing.
Children's Vision Health in Alabama
- Early vision care is crucial, with 71.09% of children in Alabama having had their vision tested.
- Of those, 3.29% report vision problems, emphasizing the need for early detection and care.
Proactive Vision Health Measures in Alabama
- Regular eye exams and UV protection are essential, especially considering the 6.41% of the population with vision impairment.
- A healthy diet, smoking cessation, and regular breaks from screens contribute to better vision health, which can help mitigate the statistics on vision impairment in Alabama.
Proper vision care is crucial for people of all ages. Your treatment will vary depending on your condition and issues. Finding the right eye care provider can help you receive the necessary treatment and care.
- "Common Eye Disorders and Diseases." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- “Finding an Eye Doctor | National Eye Institute.” National Eye Institute.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats - Health Insurance Coverage.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020.
- "Healthy Vision Tips." National Eye Institute.
- “Optometry.” UC Davis, 2017.